Starting new but with experience. Need some advice

Philly fresh

LawnSite Member
Looking at starting my own little lawn care business and looking for advice. My equipment personal equipment is listed below and back story will be in the comments. Long story short I want to have more flexibility in my work schedule, I work in a refinery. Like stated below this is all my personal equipment and all paid off. I am looking for those who have started late in the season in preparation for the spring. I am currently in the market for the items listed below. Suggestions are welcome. Criticism is also welcome. Would like a stand on 36 that doesnt weigh the 1300lbs my ztrak does to be able to do smaller yards in my area. Im south of Houston in Lake Jackson. Home of Buccee's. He lives in the same neighborhood. My mindset is to dedicate 1 good mower to be able to tackle about any job which is why im searching for a 36" stand on. I live on acerage with alot of trees and landscaping which is why I own all this equipment. I grew up in an HOA neighborhood so its kinda instilled in me to keep my yard crisp. No longer in an HOA but live on acerage.

(Needed)
Bagging system for 930m
36" Stand-on (currently looking at JD636, Hustler Super S, Wright stander, Exmark) for those tiny gates
Backpack blower (Echo PB-770) or equivilent

(Owned)
Truck- 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie mega 94k (I daily an Accord)
Trailer- Ranch King 6x12
Equipment:
JD 930m (have mulching kit)
Echo PB250 blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo SRM 2620T trimmer
Stihl FS70R trimmer
Stihl Combi KM91r edger
Echo SHC-225s hedge trimmer
Stihl MS261 w/20" bar
VP gas jugs for days
Old style nozzles with pre-mix gas cans

Last edited:
OP
P

Philly fresh

LawnSite Member
Welder/Pipefitter by trade. Tired of chasing shutdowns and being away from my family. Its all refineries here so you work for the plant or you are work for a company that provides services to the plant. I have worked 4/10s, 5/10s, 6/12s/ 7/12s/ 13 and 1, 16s, Dupont, you name it. Contract is ending Thurs and I have enough to last till the begining of the year. Owned a welding shop in Houston, but this little town doesnt really have a wrought iron niche market. Running a business has been done before.

Background, Ive always enjoyed cutting. For approx 4yrs I maintained a soccer club facility. Bifan, weedeating, moving fields, marking fields, striping the field my son would play on, maintenance between seasons, spraying. The SC was kind enough to pay for all parts, maintenance, repairs and extras I needed. He is now a highly regarded player that travels alot. Daughter also is in travel softball. Being with them is more important than $120k+ yrs.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to Lawnsite.
It's a great time of year to plan, and prepare. You may pick up a few clients but you need to focus on next spring. Be ready and prepared.
Even though your equipment is paid for, you'll need to set aside money for replacement equipment once you get rolling.
Insurance, maintenance, fuels, sales tax, repairs, etc.
Good luck, never sell yourself short, start out bidding high, gain quality customers, not bottom feeders.

OP
P

Philly fresh

LawnSite Member
Welcome to Lawnsite.
It's a great time of year to plan, and prepare. You may pick up a few clients but you need to focus on next spring. Be ready and prepared.
Even though your equipment is paid for, you'll need to set aside money for replacement equipment once you get rolling.
Insurance, maintenance, fuels, sales tax, repairs, etc.
Good luck, never sell yourself short, start out bidding high, gain quality customers, not bottom feeders.
Thank you sir. Actually been on here since 2014. Reading, learning, applying what ive learned. Follow Mike Andes, Dirt Monkey, SG Ninja, and the like. Lots of good content. A fellow neighbor has a lawn business that I helped when I wasnt working so I picked up some knowledge from him as well. Most of my equipment aside from the 2016 JD930m is less than a yr old which is why id like to purchase a new quality stand on for the warranty but figure it will get me by. My mower only has like 4xx hrs. Do you have any suggestions on stand ons? Its mostly St. Augustine here with some places having Bermuda.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Right now I would give some consideration to a used 36 belt drive walk behind unless your sure you won't be needing a mower larger than a 36". I would think about the upcoming leaf season and even if your out there with a rake and a garbage can you can make money. Network with the other LCO's in your area as most are probably turning away work. The pb770 is a great blower to start. Certainly not the most powerful but it will tear moss out of the ground and paint from a house. You should expect the disruptions to supply chains for equipment and parts to continue into next year.

OP
P

Philly fresh

LawnSite Member
Right now I would give some consideration to a used 36 belt drive walk behind unless your sure you won't be needing a mower larger than a 36". I would think about the upcoming leaf season and even if your out there with a rake and a garbage can you can make money. Network with the other LCO's in your area as most are probably turning away work. The pb770 is a great blower to start. Certainly not the most powerful but it will tear moss out of the ground and paint from a house. You should expect the disruptions to supply chains for equipment and parts to continue into next year.
Really appreciate all the helpful answers. Most def have been looking at some as alternative options. Specifically looking at the brands that I have access to the dealer for any foreseeable repairs or parts. Only thing I have come across alot is that they are either clapped out high hours or are well over 300 miles away. Found a clean exmark Vantage for 4500 w/ 544hrs. But is a 48" and about 350miles from me. I dont mind driving for the right machine but for someone not as savvy with mowers its easy to get taken for a ride.

@Mac-s Lawn & Snow what do you recommend for a backpack blower that has great CFMs? Im just outside of Houston so Ill be dealing with leaves on my own 2 acres of property pretty soon. Hurricane IDA kinda wiped all the shelves clean. Went today to look for a KM131 but were out.

Last edited:

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
Yo dude! Local 98 over here! Got whacked from Carr and duff in 2011 when times were bad. Never looked back cards good! You 420??

lots you can do with this brother. I jump on union work Febuary when i want to stay out of the trees. Season is as follows
March landscape, mulch
April till last week in September cut weekly lawns (mixed with energency tree work/emergency electrical work)
October 2nd abd 4th week cut grass
October 1st/3rd week transfer over to trees/generators/French drains/any electric
November trees all electric, leaf vac
December trees electric leaf vac, xmas lights
January trees electric
Febuary jump on union work
March repeat.

you can gross your monthly net in 1 week doing this sir.
I’m out of northeast philly. Live in Warminster. Cut from perkacie to la salle high school to the tycony.

glad to have ya here!

Last edited:
OP
P

Philly fresh

LawnSite Member
Yo dude! Local 98 over here! Got whacked from Carr and duff in 2011 when times were bad. Never looked back cards good! You 420??

lots you can do with this brother. I jump on union work Febuary when i want to stay out of the trees. Season is as follows
March landscape, mulch
April till last week in September cut weekly lawns (mixed with energency tree work/emergency electrical work)
October 2nd abd 4th week cut grass
October 1st/3rd week transfer over to trees/generators/French drains/any electric
November trees all electric, leaf vac
December trees electric leaf vac, xmas lights
January trees electric
Febuary jump on union work
March repeat.

you can gross your monthly net in 1 week doing this sir.
I’m out of northeast philly. Live in Warminster. Cut from perkacie to la salle high school to the tycony.

glad to have ya here!
My name is Phillip. Ive had that SN since way way back in the day. I was born and raised in TX. Used to paint race plastics when I rode street bikes under the name Phresh Paint. I know I can always fall back on my tools just shutdowns in the plants really makes alot of cash at the expense of my sanity. Worked at a unit that was new construction. Did about 9 months of 7/12s. Man it sucked. But I do love the Phillies.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
My name is Phillip. Ive had that SN since way way back in the day. I was born and raised in TX. Used to paint race plastics when I rode street bikes under the name Phresh Paint. I know I can always fall back on my tools just shutdowns in the plants really makes alot of cash at the expense of my sanity. Worked at a unit that was new construction. Did about 9 months of 7/12s. Man it sucked. But I do love the Phillies.

Nice to talk to you Phillip! i hear ya brother. A few summers ago, worked at 10th and south nights and cut grass all day for a long time. When the boss said layoffs are coming i said now please. Haha.

so what ya planning on doing with the lawn service? Covering a few bills or actually making a big run at it?

Top Forums