Starting new lawn service

Advancedlawninc

LawnSite Member
Hello, Im new to this site, and have already found a bunch of what i think is very vitial information. I have worked for lawn service after lawn service and got tired of working for the man if you know what i mean. So i have decided to start my own business. But my biggest concern is, What is the best way to build clients? I know plenty of people and they are putting my name out there for me but im not sure how to get anything other than that. So if any one has any pointers it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Josh

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
Do some searches on here and you should be able to find all the info you need. First steps you should be doing if you haven't done so yet, is to get proper liceanses and insurance for your business, whether or not your state requires insurnace

lawnservicefreak22

LawnSite Member
When I started a few years ago I targeted retirement neighborhoods and middle class people and put flyers up with the price written on it. I also gained clients by going to the same neighborhood every snowfall going door to door for snow shoveling and gave them a flyer. After going back every time it snowed they saw how I was reliable and wanted me to mow for them. Like deereequipment said save everything you make and make wise purchases when upgrading ur equipment. Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpro724

LawnSite Silver Member
First off make sure you are insured and have whatever license you need. Your marketing statagy is going to depend alot on your experience and the type, quality and amount of equipment you have. A good marketing plan can be very successful and can overwhelm you if your not prepared for it. What skills or experience do you have? What type of equipment do you have? Trucks? Trailers? Dont plan on buying everything then going out to get customers thats a plan for failure not success.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I am in the process now of finishing up the book by Tony Bass called The E-Myth: Landscape Contractor. Before you sink any money into your company, give this a read. It will really open your eyes and it is worth every penny. Also, google "entrepreneurial seizure" and see what comes up. Tony mentions this in the book as well. I know i sound like a salesman for him, but I would honestly pay 200 bucks for that book if I knew what it had inside.

To your question, go to vistaprint and get a bunch of basic business cards with your name on them. Pass them out to everyone you see, give everyone a couple of them. Keychains work really well also. Good luck

OP
A

Advancedlawninc

LawnSite Member
Thanks you all for the info. Lawnpro 724 i am starting out with my 06 dodge ram 4x4. A 6x14 tandom axel trailer. I have a 48" cut exmark walk behind and a 60" exmark lazer z at my disposal if needed. also have a stihl fs55r weedeater and a stihl 600 series backpack blower. The only reason i went with exmark and stihl equipment is because i work in the small engine feild for 5 plus years and i know how to work on those brands very well. I am trying not to start off in the hole so i used savings for what i did purchuse. but right nowi have a lot of friends that are helping me retain business and then i am also droping flyers everywhere. I have all my license and insurance that i need ans also have my corporation set up as well. I had a business advisor help me get all this set up so iwould know that its done right with the state that i live in.. any other advise you have for me would be great thank u