1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Starting new lawn service

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S & L Lawn Solutions, Aug 16, 2013.

1. S & L Lawn Solutions

S & L Lawn Solutions LawnSite Member

As I said I'm starting a new lawn service and just need some help deciding on the best ztm. I see scag & exmark.. can someone help me decide....advice would be appreciated.

2. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Start with a used 48 wb IMHO. Turf tracer or Viking.

3. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Big investment for someone just starting out. Think about a bobcat walk behind, if you're going all out get hydro and a proslide sulky plate. Kohler motor, Briggs stuff is gabage.

4. S & L Lawn Solutions

Wb would take me all day to cut large lawns..

5. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hard to give advice with zero knowledge of your customer base or your expected customer base...

6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Solid old school money maker.http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grd/4000897155.html
    Find em like that in just about any market for about a grand. Not flashy, but cut very nice. Reliable. Great parts availability. No brainer.

You'll love the t-bar controls versus any other belt driven walk behind. The 44" is really a great size to get you started. They actually fit a lot of gates that a 48" just won't.

7. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it will. But do you plan on landing all huge lawns? What about when you start getting offered smaller properties that can't handle a zero turn? Are you planning on push mowing them? Or turning them down? I still don't take anything over an acre because I use walk behinds. But you know what? When the idiots who have a 60" exmark to mow postage stamps can't get their mower in the back I get to make the money he would have made, at a higher price because no one else can do it

8. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Member

I'd look on craigslist for a used walk behind and ztr. I know up here you can get a 52" for 2k or less and a decent ztr for under 5k. If you're dead set on a decent priced ztr look at the bobcat procat 61". If it has the 37hp dfi you can bush hog with it also. Gives you another service to offer

9. S & L Lawn Solutions

If it's that small I will use a push mower and Weed eater. .

10. S & L Lawn Solutions

Just looking to find a good dependable ztr...commercial.