Lawn Care Forum banner

Starting out in NC

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Nate'sLawnCare 
#1 ·
Im trying to get started for next year in NC and was wondering about the landscape contractors license. I saw that they are trying to pass new legislation about landscape contractors and didnt know what happened about that. I was looking at the application to take the test and it asks about experience and or clients, right now the experience i have is working on golf courses in high school, and doing a sports turf management internship in college with a focus on sustainable turf management. Recently i have been out of work and my last position was with a company harvesting rainwater. So my question is should i go ahead and get the landscape contractors license or wait until after my first year and have some clients to put down. I am really interested in landscaping and as a kid growing up i was always pushing my mower around and cuttin' grass. I hate being inside and cant wait to get started i love working outdoors and with my hands. Any advise would be very helpful. This forum has been great so far!

#2 ·
I'm doing some research into the NC landscape contractor license and don't believe it applies to what I do, your situation may be different. If you want to be a full service company, work on your applicator license. I'm attending a class next week in Raleigh to get that particular license so I can do spray chemical applications in addition to mowing, leaf cleanup, hedge trimming, etc. It's good for your business to provide one-stop shopping for your customers. Good luck.

#4 ·
I'm in Wilson and found that applications soon come after mowing. I started as a mow only company and naturally fertilization comes as an easy add on. Plus you need a lisense to spray round up.

I've now got a pretty good mow business and the applications are on the rise. I'd love to do only applications/aerations/etc,

I'm actually headed up to Raleigh tmrw to take the pesticide exam to be able to treat for mosquitos.

If any of you guys would like to network and share what is working for you in NC i'm open.

#5 ·
I'm in Wilson and found that applications soon come after mowing. I started as a mow only company and naturally fertilization comes as an easy add on. Plus you need a lisense to spray round up.

I've now got a pretty good mow business and the applications are on the rise. I'd love to do only applications/aerations/etc,

I'm actually headed up to Raleigh tmrw to take the pesticide exam to be able to treat for mosquitos.

If any of you guys would like to network and share what is working for you in NC i'm open.
I have been thinking about adding mosquito treatments myself. I didn't realize you had to have a special endorsement other than your regular applicators license.

#6 ·
I have been thinking about adding mosquito treatments myself. I didn't realize you had to have a special endorsement other than your regular applicators license.
You need the public health endorsement.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Where do you find information for the applicator license class. Im interested in taking them.
I'll be taking the turf and ornamentals class next week in Raleigh. I believe there's another one in Greenville next month, but you can get the info from this link:

http://www.ncagr.gov/SPCAP/pesticides/exam.htm

Oh yeah, go ahead and order the manuals from NC State to read prior to taking the class. I'm still trying to finish mine, I'll have to buckle down the rest of this week.

#11 ·

I live in Clayton, just took the exam a few months back and got my license. I'm going to be strictly applications, no mowing. But it's only a part time gig for me. Next week will be my first lawns for pre-m. I called for an insurance quote and the lady asked me what my expected gross sales will be? I said good question. I'm hoping for about $2000 my first year.
Cheers

#13 ·
I'm in Charlotte, NC and want to get my pesticide applicators license but not even sure where to go to get started. I wish there was a place I can go and take classes then take the exam.

I looked into mosquito spraying as well and a few of my clients have a company that comes and uses a Stihl blower with a tank on it to fog them and they told me its not a weekly thing like lawn maintenance but there's definitely money in it if your able to get the product cheap.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm in Charlotte, NC and want to get my pesticide applicators license but not even sure where to go to get started. I wish there was a place I can go and take classes then take the exam.

I looked into mosquito spraying as well and a few of my clients have a company that comes and uses a Stihl blower with a tank on it to fog them and they told me its not a weekly thing like lawn maintenance but there's definitely money in it if your able to get the product cheap.
Here's a link to the class registration form and the location information is on pages 2 and 3 of this link:

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/pesticidesafety/spring2013.pdf

It looks like the Monroe class is closest to Charlotte.

I highly recommend taking the class and then the exam directly afterward. I got the study manuals and read them once prior to the class, then took the class/exam. I scored in the 90's on the core and the O&T exams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.