• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Starting Part Time

swarehime

LawnSite Member
Hello All. My name is Steve and new to this site. Hoping to gain insight and advice from others. I am mowing part time in the evenings and on weekends tying to gain customers in order to go full time in a year or two. I have no income to put towards large or comercial equipment so trying to builf off of what I have. I have '94 F250 4x4, one comercial old used 26" walkbehind, about 3 working resident 21" self propeled mowers, a cheap blower and about a 2 yr old $150 weedeater. Any advice???? ANy opinon on do I need software. Any advice would be very helpful.

Warehime's Lawn Service

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
Welcome to the site...

Advice... Best I can think of is only buy what you need when you need it. A lot of guys, part time and full time get into some serious debt starting their businesses so curb your spending until its warranted and needed. Also, try and upgrade to further commercial equipment (used at first) when you can.

Since your starting part time, make up your own invoices and what not on your computer. You really dont need to buy expensive software since your just starting out, focus on getting some customers and educating yourself (if your not already) on the green industry, focus on high quality work standards and building customer relations for this first year...

Best of luck,

360ci

LawnSite Bronze Member
I started the same way Steve. I wouldn't get too involved too quickly or you'll find yourself even more unorganized. You don't need much in terms of software. Hell, I've been using MS Excel for the last 8 years with great success. It's free (uh huh), and I have one file per client with 13 sheets, 12 months and a total sheet which then gets tallied on a master list/file. It took me about a day to set everything up, and now with three different versions of MS Excel, it still works fantastic for what I use it for.

Frankly, as mentioned above, going to big too fast without business growth can be disastrous. You'll find yourself with equipment that you won't need because you don't have the clientele. Start small, get some light residential accounts and light commercial (gas stations, etc) accounts where 21" mowers will work fine. Once you build up a profit off of those accounts and build relations business will grow on two fronts, profit, and word of mouth. People who own a business, generally know someone else who owns a business, which leads to personal business growth. I advertise once a year in the spring and 50% of my current clients were all referred to me!

OP
S

swarehime

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Just came up from garage cleaning getting ready to go get mowers out of storage. Will comment more later today on what you all said. Again THANKS!

Steve
Warehime's Lawn Service