1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Starting slow in the irrigation field

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 8, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I read the thread at the top of the page about getting into irrigation but it really did not help much.

I live in KS and would like to spend my extra time this year studying about the irrigation field and next year getting into repairs.

Here is what I know.

I spent 2 years after HS working as a plumbers apprentice so I know my way around pipes. From plastic to copper to steel.

I know a little about programming a system just from experience in the field.

I know how to replace heads and how to position them.

My question is what can I study to increase my knowledge? Im looking for websites or books.

For now I just want to do repair for my current mowing customers and maybe down the road do installs. Start slow for now.

I checked with my local community college but they dont appear to offer anything related to it.

Also what state office would I need to check with? Dept of Ag?

Thanks.

2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

3. IN2MOWN

That should keep me busy for a while.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What happened to the plumbing gig?

5. IN2MOWN

I really enjoyed it. I learned a ton from new construction rough in's to repair but I was young at the time and decided to try my hand at school 2 years into it. My boss was not happy and did not want a PT guy so I left to go back to school and got a job cutting grass. The guy was flexible with my school and actually encouraged me to go and take time off to study if I needed it.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you had skills at plumbing repairs, it might be something to not shut the door on. A plumbing license is not a bad thing to have.

7. IN2MOWN

I never shut the door on it. I just never got back into it. I started cutting grass and landscaping and fell in love with it. Worked for a guy for 5 years and then went out on my own 8 years ago.

Im at the point where I want start diversifying and I thought sprinkler repair would be something that does not have a high overhead, its something Im interested in, most of my customers have systems and I know a little about it already.

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

irrigation.org

9. IN2MOWN

Thanks tom tom