Starting up this year....What to offer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dowdy2007, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Dowdy2007

Dowdy2007 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Leesville, LA

No kidding, that was the funnest part about mowing back home. But most people think that the grass down here won't stripe. Most of it will if you do it right. I had to make my own striping kit to put on my mower to make it happen but i can lay down some nice stripes. But bermuda is grown down here like everything is a football field. Unless you get one of the nice hybrids, common bermuda is just plain ugly in my opinion.

2. Dowdy2007

Dowdy2007 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Leesville, LA

Yeah i do as much as i can... knowledge helps for sure with selling from my short experiences so far. But the pro guys here will do a neat job most of the time. But you go by homes and businesses in the area and they have no pop to them. My ocd kicks in and im just like WHY! But they are willing to pay good money to install this stuff. Im just hoping i can change the standards a bit.

3. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

In the meantime, just remember that this just confirms how much work there is for you out there!

4. ZachBreeden

ZachBreeden LawnSite Member

While there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to show your clients the kind of lawn they CAN have, there's also nothing wrong with giving them what they ask for, either. I have several lawns, that I know for a fact could be a lot better looking, if the client would just step up, pay me a little more, and let me do my thang. But instead, they're satisfied with a quick 15 minute cut, trim, and blow-off. Some of them don't even care about the edging, even though that's a standard service, and wouldn't go to the trouble of asking for it, if I didn't already do it. There are some guys on here, that in their areas, the culture taste is a really manicured lawn. But in my area, and it sounds like yours too, the culture is just, "keep it cut every week, and I don't give a crap how it looks, just don't let it get tall". Nothing wrong with trying to change that, but also remember that there's nothing wrong with giving the customer what they ask for, and if you're just starting out, I would just focus primarily on the basics, and then suggest a few small things along the way, once you've been with them for awhile. For example, I started cutting for a lady last year, who payed me $40 a week to cut her small lawn. In front of her porch was an absolute MESS of what was suppose to be hedges. Said she didn't care about 'em, and didn't want to pay to have 'em pruned, and cleaned up. So I said, "you're the boss!", and for the next 4 months I mowed and trimmed around them. Then one day she decided they might look good pruned and cleaned. So I gave her a price, and I did the work. So don't kill yourself if people in your area aren't really interested in having the lawn of the month. Just make suggestions, and let them make the decisions.

I would offer fertilizing, leaf removal, and weed control. Basic, but makes a big difference.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  5. Lovett

Lovett LawnSite Member

I just picked up a trimming bush job and the guy wanted holes in the back yard filled in and home pressure washed.

Time to learn about dirt and see what's the cost of renting a pressure washer/24 foot ladder.

6. Lovett

Lovett LawnSite Member

Don't question if you offer will they buy. Get to the point of if I offer it they will want it. Then so many ideas of opportunities will bombard the mind. Best to ya.

7. Lovett

Lovett LawnSite Member

Afreakinmen. And praise the yard gods.