States I should look into for lawn care start up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Southernturf33, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Southernturf33

Southernturf33 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the Atlanta area and looking to start up my own lawn care(weed control & ferilization) business. Unfortunately, I feel like the market is extremely saturated already here. I'm also under a non- compete with the current company I work for. They don't make new employees sign them so I'm not sure if it's valid but that's another story. I was wondering if anyone had any info they can send my way about markets I should look into. I'm open to the idea of moving to a a new city to start up. A business partner wouldn't be a bad thing either. Let me know if you have anything to help me out with this. Thanks

2. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Put the business in your partner's (or wife's) name. Boom! You just beat that non compete contract.

3. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Missouri

non compete's are not enforcable.

You can go out tomorrow and start up and do the exact same thing you're doing now and your current company cannot do a thing.

Non competes are more for trade secrets....example....You work for KFC and sign a no compete.....you CAN go start up a fried chicken place all your own and KFC cannot do a thing about it.......but you CANNOT start up a fried chicken place and use KFC's secret recipe......

Southernturf33 likes this.
  4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Missouri

Other than that...if you're market is saturated...search in a 100 mile radius....easier move. just have to research how many companies are in those towns and if they're worth competing with.

Southernturf33 and hort101 like this.
  5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with a non compete isn't really if you can do it or not. It's do you have the deep pockets to hire an attorney to plead your case. I've seen non compete and non disclosure cases take a year or two to hash out, most resulting in a settlement in the claimants favor. Don't go after any existing customers of the old company. Nearly 9k people move to ATL per month with over 20k new houses last year. I'd just stay if you can justify the non compete.
    How large an area does your non compete cover?

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Pretty much this.

Rockchoplawn likes this.
  7. TPendagast

Male

Well they ARE
    JUST don’t solicit the Former company’s customers directly
    If your company placed an ad and the customer called it
    That’s one thing
    If you go knock on their door , that’s another
    Don’t do that

zraffz, Southernturf33 and hort101 like this.
  8. TPendagast

Male

Dis too

9. TPendagast

Male

IMO
    It’s nit simple to just wander into some new area you’ve never lived in before,I know two people who did it but they already had been in business previously

Striking out on your own AND in an unfamiliar place is just too hard.
    You’re not speaking the local lingo , you don’t know the differences in bugs or grass ,, blah blah blah yak yak.

My advice
    Got issues with where you work?
    Sign on with someone else and work for them until your non compete expires.
    Don’t sign anything new like that or even looks like that.

Southernturf33 and sehitchman like this.
  10. Southernturf33

Southernturf33 LawnSite Member

I believe it's around 100 miles. Pretty much any county surrounding Atlanta. Hiram to Athens