Stay away from 6.0s at all costs???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by UpstateServices, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

You are driving to the supplier and then job to job . You dont need or want to run at 70 mph . Slow and steady wins the race . I have been at it for 30 years plus , 99% of my trucks and vans have been and are gassers . I had a 7.3 naturally asperated dually , it was fine but the rust got to it . I dont need a "cool" truck . My gas trucks do the job just fine .

DXN1EL, hort101 and TX Easymoney like this.
  2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

A stock 6.0 that hasn't been abused will do just fine. The 6.0 got a bad rap until guys are seeing what's happening with the 6.4! We've got an '06 6.0 in the fleet with 185k that pulls 8k-10k almost daily. Only things that's been done to it is replace a lower radiator hose, alternator, starter. Only "mods" is an EGR delete at 120k and did the blue spring upgrade at 150k. Otherwise I like it as good as our LLY duramaxs.

Best thing you can do if you find a "low mile" 6.0 (under 120k) is do an EGR delete and put on a new oil cooler, just in case. Yes, I would stay away from a mod, chipped, tuned, hot rod 6.0 but otherwise.

hort101 likes this.
  3. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

hort101 likes this.
  4. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

hort101 likes this.
  5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I now own two 6.0 fords, 03 Excursion(elderly neighbor) and 05 F-250 (estate sale). Both were one owner rust free not chipped trucks with service records. I've had a couple of issues, but quickly diagnosed and economically repaired by my local Diesel guy. He checked out both, and said buy them. I've called him several times, told him what was happening, he over the phone gave me a diagnosis and approximate cost to repair. Both times it was exactly what he said. He said, if you know it has not been chipped and not abused, they are reliable trucks. I sold my 97 7.3 with over 300k miles, several month ago. I had it on here with zero interest, it was clean and well maintained. Sold it locally for top $ , I was happy! Probably the lowest cost to own of any truck I've ever had. But it was getting old and I was ready for an upgrade. Low mileage rust free well maintained trucks come available here all the time, just be ready with cash and don't hesitate, they go quick. I'm not tied to Ford or any other brand, just lucked out finding the last three. I think in the 15k range, you need to be a cash buyer as financing 10-15yo trucks gets difficult. Good luck, clean used trucks don't stay on the market long and the flippers grab them up quick.

hort101 and UpstateServices like this.
  6. sehitchman

My secret for finding clean well maintained cars and trucks. Look around Southern areas that have good VA facilities. Career military are well disciplined and retire near medical facilities. their stuff is usually like new and not towed much besides a camper or hobby car. I enjoy the hunt for a car or truck at my leisure, not the desperate gotta buy it immediately due to need. Good luck!

hort101 likes this.
  7. UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

Nothing quite like the chase! Lol. Do you have any areas in specific you’ve had good luck with? I’m in Rochester so nearly everything is pounded with salt-rust and I’ve always been interested in the idea of flying somewhere and driving back, just never done it

8. sehitchman

Middle GA, Eastern NC, Western SC, FL Panhandle not on the coast, FL space coast check for Rust, SE Georgia N AL. I've thought for a long time, I could do ok by flipping southern trucks, a buddy and I talk all the time about it, he's in Columbus, OH. Running the numbers, after tax and title and insurance, just not enough left to cover costs. Most people are pretty savvy these days about their truck value.

hort101 likes this.
  9. sehitchman

Wyatt, just know, that 90 % of "buy owner" trucks listed on craigslist, are usually used car guys trying to hide. It's a crap shoot not being able to check it out 1st. FB marketplace seems to have more buy owner stuff now days.

zlandman and Mdirrigation like this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

6.0s are a crap shoot...so it depends on if you want to gamble with your business. Modded, unmodded, bulletproofed or not bulletproofed.

I had 3, they cost me a ton of money and several years of my life.