Stay away from Echo 225 variants

PR1

LawnSite Member
I bought a SRM-225 to use on my residentials, right away there was oil coming out of the exhaust after use.. no big deal, I keep on using it... I notice that it is having trouble getting gas while edging beds, the fuel bubble runs out of fuel and it dies.. so I take it back to the dealer to talk to the mechanic.. He says ya gotta run it at full throttle to ensure full combustion to keep the oil out of the exhaust, he says there was a bend in my fuel line that may have caused the fuel starvation while edging. So I go on and use it again... same problems.. by this time the trimmer is about 5 months old so I buy a fuel line kit and change out the fuel lines/fuel filter. still same problem... so I thought maybe I had a lemon... I go to HD to buy the same one and guess what within two days I have the same problems... I call Echo and what do they say? run it at full throttle... I took it back to HD for a refund and the lady laughs and says " yeah we had two others returned today" she points across the way where two other SRM-225's were... Echo knows they have a problem and have decided to let it go... STAY AWAY FROM IT..

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
The fuel filter in the tank is not getting gas when tipped. It should 'fall' or move with gravity but sometimes they don't. Check that first. The oil? How much are you putting in the gas can?

OP
PR1

PR1

LawnSite Member
the fuel mixture is correct, the motor must not be fully combusting at lower rpm's... I guess you can easily blame it on emissions requirements???... but when I have the unit on my rack it is dripping oil on the other machines, and of course getting on my shirt when I use it.. I'll see if I can fix the fuel filter thing, if it'll run while edging I can deal with the oil issue.. All my other echo products don't have a combustible problem just the 225

OP
PR1

PR1

LawnSite Member
I just want other people to know that it's not a machine that is going to perform to "expectations" right off the shelf, ya know

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought a SRM-225 to use on my residentials, right away there was oil coming out of the exhaust after use.. no big deal, I keep on using it... I notice that it is having trouble getting gas while edging beds, the fuel bubble runs out of fuel and it dies.. so I take it back to the dealer to talk to the mechanic.. He says ya gotta run it at full throttle to ensure full combustion to keep the oil out of the exhaust, he says there was a bend in my fuel line that may have caused the fuel starvation while edging. So I go on and use it again... same problems.. by this time the trimmer is about 5 months old so I buy a fuel line kit and change out the fuel lines/fuel filter. still same problem... so I thought maybe I had a lemon... I go to HD to buy the same one and guess what within two days I have the same problems... I call Echo and what do they say? run it at full throttle... I took it back to HD for a refund and the lady laughs and says " yeah we had two others returned today" she points across the way where two other SRM-225's were... Echo knows they have a problem and have decided to let it go... STAY AWAY FROM IT..
They say run them at full throttle for a full minute when you get it, however.. HD does not open them and run them or give you the information on how to. Even before I knew to do this I bought my srm225 last year. Still going strong, works totally fine, never had that issue.

OP
PR1

PR1

LawnSite Member
Yeah when I had Echo on the phone, they knew the exact issue. They said I need to run it at full throttle every time I use it... I just about blew a gasket!! Bunch of BS in my opinion. When the mechanic at the shop told me to do that, I totally looked at him like he was stupid... I just about started arguing with him on it cause I though he was BS me.. but I let it go, spent the $17 on the fuel kit and after that didn't work I called Echo and was told the same thing... Just a bad design overall.. Don't think I am slamming Echo, I own a new 770 blower, PAS 2620, and 2620 pole saw from them, just pissed that they want $199 for a piece of equipment with known problems... these guys have been making this type of equipment for a long time they know better IMO

OP
PR1

PR1

LawnSite Member
Yeah im running the Red Armor, maybe something else will burn cleaner