Staying off newly seeded lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by h&m GARDENS, Apr 20, 2017.

1. h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

Hi guys! I have to renovate flower beds and they just reseeded and composted the lawn. Should I hold off walking and working in and around it?

2. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

Was it a total renovation or a quick overseed? A quick walk over probably won't hurt anything but shuffling in a concentrated area is not recommended. You don't want to ruin anything, use common sense.

h&m GARDENS likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from S.E. New England

You'll do more damage if it's bare spots or the grass is sprouting. Depends on the situation it should be walked on as little as possible:)

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You want to avoid blame for any seed that does not come up. Insist that the customer water the new seed properly. Do this yourself--to be sure. Perhaps lay a board on it to protect the grass. Or perhaps lay a ladder on it so you can traverse without making foot prints.

I do not think you will do any damage if it is before the seed has sprouted. Even a bit of light traffic when seed is sprouting will probably do no harm.
    Still--what counts--is what the customer thinks. Be ready to reseed if it comes in less than perfect.

rlitman likes this.
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Yeah if it's an overseed of an existing lawn not as big of a deal if they seeded bare ground. Gingerly walking across newly seeded bare ground is ok a time or two but you don't want to be scuffing or disturbing it as it likely will result in bare spots. If you're working and need to walk across repeatedly, going to be digging your toes in kneeling, dragging tarps and barrels and using rakes you're going to want to wait. Since you said you'll be "renovating" it sounds like you have a good bit of work to do and damage would be inevitable. Sounds like poor planning on the customers part. It would have best been done after your work is completed.

hort101 and h&m GARDENS like this.
  6. h&m GARDENS

Female, from Newport, ri

It's actually my fault! I told her that I didn't want to rip out the old bed (full of grass growing inside perennials) only to have them seed the beds! I can't plant until mid May anyway. How long will the grass take? I may have to put down a board anyway.

hort101 likes this.
  7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Member

A general rule of thumb is that after it's grown enough for 2-3 mows it's established and ready to handle foot traffic.

Darryl G and hort101 like this.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Should be OK by mid May but still a little shallow rooted and tender.

Is this new lawn or just repair/overseed of existing lawn?

9. h&m GARDENS

Female, from Newport, ri

Overseed.

10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Silver Member

If just overseeded lay canvas tarps around bed to work off. Then you wont be ripping up fresh grass where your working. Plus throw all weeds and stuff on tarps keeps lawn clean.

foreplease likes this.