staying with JD 300 or going to a ztr

TLC96

LawnSite Member
okay guys waz up i have a 77 john deere 300 with a 46" deck in great shape but motors needs rebuilding runs good and mows great and fast but leaks oil bad and smokes got it in a trade so i have maybe 150 bucks in it so should i fix it and use it or get something newer and bigger thanks TLC all the way

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Those mowers, while a decent mower in their day, are grossly underpowered by today's standards. Their fuel tanks are small, the ground speed is slow and they aren't the best at cutting grass. I would look for something else.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Those mowers, while a decent mower in their day, are grossly underpowered by today's standards. Their fuel tanks are small, the ground speed is slow and they aren't the best at cutting grass. I would look for something else.
With all due respect to, and for Richard Martin's opinion, I totally disagree with this. I mow with both a modern ZTR, and a 22 year old JD garden tractor with a 14 HP kawi, and yes, the ZTR is faster, but it certainly doesn't cut any better. As far as being grossly underpowered, again- no way. The older engines were actual HP measured by using dyno's to determine the number, while today's engines are HP measured by determining how much fuel per hour they use, which is why a lot of manufacturer's use the term "HP hours" when discussing HP and fuel usage.

My old '69 JD 140 with a 14 HP Kohler would run the a 46" deck as easily as any new machine does with 22 HP or even more, and do it without straining. MY 22 year old 240 does the same thing, and it leaves a beautiful cut.

The real question and answer lies in what is your purpose for the tracor's use. Just to take care of your lawn, or run a business trying to make as much money in as short a time as you can? If it is for a business, buy a ZTR to save time, and make money faster as long as you can afford to do so at this time. If you just want to mow your lawn, then fix the tractor. You'll be miles ahead financially.

OP
T

TLC96

LawnSite Member
i plan on running a business with it i use my exmark metro for just about everything but ive aquired some bigger propertys and plan on getting some commercial jobs i did how every test out a buddy of mines JD X475 with a 62'' deck it was fast and cut great but my money didnt work out like i thought it would

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
You'd be better off going with a ZTR than the X series from Deere unless you think you'll be doing other jobs with it as well like snow, hauling, or maybe aerating. I have a Z 720, and it does a great job, and it is a lot less coin than the Z 900's. It is about the same cost new, as a lightly used X series. Check them out.

If however, you just can't swing it right now, then by all means get fixed whatever's needed, and use the 300 until you can buy what you need.

OP
T

TLC96

LawnSite Member
i might just fix it use some then get me either a walker or a exmark lazer i want to try to keep all my equipment the same name brand