stealing mowing jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. hustlers

    hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN
    Messages: 257

    I know an lco in my town and he follows the bigger
    lcos around and after there done he goes and talks to the owner
    maybe looks for a little grass in the driveway or a crooked stripe
    and underbids the lco and takes the job

    Its really starting to piss me off

    what u guys think bout this practice

    fair, ethical ,,,,-----I wont do it
  2. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    I have been accused of "stealing" before. i knew of a property that a guy was doing, and doing quite badly...deck never level, dull blades, and never came on the same day. so i consulted the homeowner in the winter between mowing seasons, bid the job $5.00 higher than the last guy and got the job. first cut, the old Lco showed up next door, walked overand got in my face and proceded to tell me that i was a theif, and that he was going to tell some of the other Lco's to watch out for me! boy, i did not care at all, i got the property fair and square and i knew it...i got the neghibors he was doing too 4 weeks into the season b/c of his poor workmanship...thanks!
  3. Kohls Landscaping Co

    Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member
    Messages: 188

    no customer would hire someone else if their current lawn cutter was doing a good job... obviously, he wasn't performing right and you are...personally, i don't call it "stealing"...

    -competition is what makes us better
  4. landscaper3

    landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,354

    We have had a few go with someone else and the reason was $$$$$$$ and they admitted it when I asked them why? They asked if we could match there price and politly said NO! I like the ones who dont care about $$$$ and can do all kinds of upsells! 90% of our residential accounts we can do upsells while around the other 10% are based on $$$$$ money alone and dont want added services. Sorry to disagree but it happens to many even if there doing there job. Just weed out those and keep adding the ones who want upsells.
  5. Bouncer

    Bouncer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 49

    We have some guys in our area that do the same thing! They go to your accounts and tell them that they will do the job for $10 less then the other LCO is doing it for. All i guess you can really do is hope yur accounts realize the quality of job you do for them and remain willing to pay for your service. But, this type of **** does irritate me though!!:angry:
  6. Shuter

    Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,171

    I like to find out who the last company was and why the customer is contacting me. If I know the company I will call the owner to discuss it. I do not like to take work away from another company, as I would not like work taken away from me. If I have no connection with the other company and it if the customer has good reason to find another company I will take a look at the work.

    I have been in busniess for 3 years now and I have only advertised for 30 days. All other work comes from word of mouth. I do not like to knock on doors.
  7. Darryl G

    Darryl G Inactive
    Messages: 9,500

    How in the world can you underbid someone by $5 or $10 or charge $5 more for that matter. Does the customer tell you what they are paying? Why should you believe them?

    Just wondering how you could know this. Most customers will only tell me what they were paying after I give a bid that is higher.

    To answer the original question, no I won't do that and no I don't think it's ethical.
  8. lawnagent

    lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    In Bouncers case, These guys don't know what the current rate is. They just literally come up to a client and say Mam? We do lawn work and we would be willing to mow your yard for $10 less than whoever is mowing it now is charging you.:angry: :angry: :angry:
  9. Darryl G

    Darryl G Inactive
    Messages: 9,500

    Lawnagent - Thanks. I guess it's good that it would never occur to me to do that. :cool:
  10. cos

    cos LawnSite Addict
    Messages: 1,253

    If someone followed me, I would simply walk up to the prick and ask what the problem was.

Share This Page