Lawn Care Forum banner

Step ladders??

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  gusbuster 
#1 ·
Anyone else carry one on the side of there trailer i do on mine i got two brackets on the passenger side- my trimmer rack its always on there even on mowing,rock/mulch jobs use it for bush trimming&trees alot of the guys around here have a ladder with them for the same reason mine is a 8'ft werner aluminum from Ace:waving: but some carry 6'ft,8ft,12 of thoose sizes diffrent ones ill see but do any of you do this for the same reason?

#4 ·
I carry as little equipment as I can. My hedge trimming jobs are scheduled work. I drop the trailer and load up the hedge trimmers, barrels, ladders etc and go do the job. When I get done, all of that stuff is unloaded and the trailer is reattached. I don't like to drag around more weight than I have to. I'm cheap with the gas you know.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Personally I don't see any need to carry a ladder all of the time. I schedule all of my trimming and bring my dump trailer instead of my mowing trailer. When I am mowing, I wouldn't have time to trim anything anyway. I do carry a pair of hand shears that I will use to clean up between trimming on one of my full service accounts.

As far as what ladders I use, i have the Werner version of the little giant but it mostly stays at home. It is too short for most jobs. Plus it is pretty heavy and flexes a lot when used as an extension. . I have an 8' Fiberglass tripod ladder that works great for most hedges. Then I have 10' and 12' Fiberglass stepladders that I use for the taller hedges. I also have a 20' fiberglass and a 32' aluminum extension ladders. The 32' never leaves my house and I really only use the 20' when I help out family. Sometimes I will use it if a customer asks me to clean gutters. I try to avoid using ladders over my 10' stepladder at customers houses when possible.

#11 ·
How sturdy are the little giant ladders? We have an extension ladder at home that I refuse to climb because of how wobbley it is. My neighbor and I were out doing a little tree trimming around their house and ours and neither of us wanted to use my ladder. Are little giants worth the price tag?
As sturdy as anything out there. My wife got mine for Christmas a few years back. Out local Ace Hardware store handles them now. You just cant believe what you can do with one. I had steps and extensions in fiberglass took up alot of room. Got rid of 4 ladders when I got this one.

#13 ·
I have a Werner 26' Type IA Aluminum Multi Position Ladder its pretty handy, heavy but handy!

#14 ·
How sturdy are the little giant ladders? We have an extension ladder at home that I refuse to climb because of how wobbley it is. My neighbor and I were out doing a little tree trimming around their house and ours and neither of us wanted to use my ladder. Are little giants worth the price tag?
Those ladder's are pretty sturdy. I would much rather climb one of the little giant's than the other's. It seem's all quality ladder's are expensive and LG know's this and they overcharge a bit because they know they have you over a barrel.

#15 ·
Those ladder's are pretty sturdy. I would much rather climb one of the little giant's than the other's. It seem's all quality ladder's are expensive and LG know's this and they overcharge a bit because they know they have you over a barrel.
Not sure how they have you over a barrell, there are other brands out there with good quality Werner for one that aren't quite as expensive but just as good imop.

#16 ·
Werners are the s*** when it comes too doing shrubs,bushes,trim trees like i said in my main post i carry the 8' on trailer all times but when doing it on a day where i know it i will carry a bigger size like a 12' as needed fiberglass for the 12 footer

#18 ·
Got a Little Giant and its a step and extension. Compact in a 6' step to 10' and a 22' extension. Best dam money I have ever spent, really a nice setup leave it in the bed of the truck.
Best bet, there are also a couple of rip offs that look like the little Giant, although not perfect they are better than most step ladders.

An important note about step ladders, look at the rating:

Type III = 200 lbs.
Type II = 225 lbs.
Type I = 250 lbs.
Type IA = 300 lbs.
Type IAA = 375 lbs.

If you don't have a least a Type IA leave it home so you can put you claim on your home insurance not your business policy.

I weight 190 and was using a 6' werner Type I, the kind you find in most places, I locked my feet tight against the uprights, and was only half way up, I pulled a branch off a roof, twisted the ladder, me, the ladder and the branch went off the deck and down the stairs - thankfully, I landed in the middle of a bush, I walked very slow for a couple of weeks and went a couple of days with just a big baggy shirt.

#19 ·
I always plan ahead. I have a 6' and 8' Werner fiberglass. Both given to me when they were new. Gutter's is as high I go.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Thats a really good price and a very nice ladder...very versatile....wouldn't mind having one. I have a friend who is a home inspector and that's what he uses. It fits in the back of his Honda Accord wagon. I wanted fiberglass for electrical saftey and the tripod for outdoor use on uneven ground.

#22 ·
Yeah but know one here uses thoose tripod ones the fiberglass werners it is thats 99% what i see on the trailers i like my 6'ft on at all times beascuse i do my bush trimming on regualr mowing days so i trim the bushes and then rake out/blow landscaped bed and then mow or pickup with grass catcher on the mower

#23 ·
I carry as little equipment as I can. My hedge trimming jobs are scheduled work. I drop the trailer and load up the hedge trimmers, barrels, ladders etc and go do the job. When I get done, all of that stuff is unloaded and the trailer is reattached. I don't like to drag around more weight than I have to. I'm cheap with the gas you know.
Not so cheap with gas if you need to trim bushes while you are already on site...

We carry 20' extension ladder, pole pruner, 6' a frame and 2 hedge clippers all of the time. My 100 gallon spray tank is usually full and ready to work also. The only 'calls' I have into town is for scheduled maintenance or new calls. I get 8MPG either way, so I may as well always be ready to do anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.