Sterilant on bricks

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
I got a customer who wants their brick driveway treated with a sterilant to keep weeds and grass from taking it over. I don't have alot of expirience with sterilants. What product would not stain purington style road bricks and also not leach into the lawn or kill off trees.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
I got a customer who wants their brick driveway treated with a sterilant to keep weeds and grass from taking it over. I don't have alot of expirience with sterilants. What product would not stain purington style road bricks and also not leach into the lawn or kill off trees.
DLCS

Any time you a hard surface you run the risk of RUN OFF. IMHO there is no safe Ground Sterilant that can be applied to hard surfaces.

I would first ask the customer if the Bricks have ever been sealed and is so how long ago. Pavers that have been sealed have less chance of staining. If the Bricks are sealed I would then try using a Pre Emerge instead of a sterilant.

OP
DLCS

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'll ask but I guessign they have not been sealed. They are actually old road bricks that were dug up from a city street and cleaned, then put down in his driveway. So, they are very old. They say purington on them, I guessing its the name of the manufacturer? Is there any pre emergent that is less staining?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Dimension, Gallery, Ronstar Flo or Sureguard are non staining preemergents labeled for use in residential areas. Here's how I would handle it. Any existing weeds would be destroyed by RoundUp and worse. Once the existing weeds are dead, the preemergent would be applied and I water it in. That is correct, I water it in enough to get it off the bricks and into the crevices without causing run off. If you wait for rain to do it, the rain might make most of the application run off or if the rain does not come soon enough, UV exposure would degrade the application making it ineffective.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Soil sterlilants can kill trees due to root uptake; and if it washes down hill after a heavy rain... goodby to grass. Really this needs a right of way license. Read the label very carefully.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
An ROW license holder would know the difference between a soft bare ground treatment using various preemergents and a hard treatment with the total vegetation control herbicides, along with when each is appropriate.