Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You haven't provided much information. Did you take the plug out, and is it fouled? If not fouled, can you see a spark when you pull it through with the plug grounded to the engine? How long has it been since it last ran? Is the fuel stale? Is there a residue in the carburetor which needs to be cleaned? Does it have a primer bulb, and if so, can you see the fuel when you pump it. Are the needles adjusted per the instructions in the manual? Is the air filter clogged?

I'm sure there are other important questions, but those are the first ones you should look into.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a spark,

should i empty the fuel and try fresh?
If you haven't used the saw in a year or two, it wouldn't hurt. But if gas has been in for that long, the jets may be clogged and if so, the carb will need cleaning. I also mentioned the air filter. I've seen mine heavily clogged with saw dust. My current saw is a Husqvarna, but years ago I had a Sthil, and both had been hard starting when cold. But once warm, they both started on one pull. Neither had a primer bulb, which seems to be a fairly recent addition to two-cycle engines. Every other two-cycle I have today has the primer bulb, and I really think it's a great design improvement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've gotten so I always check the spark arrestor screen at the muffler outlet whenever I get one that either isn't running right or won't start all of a sudden. And by all means change the fuel out. My Husqvarna 350 wouldn't start about a month ago and nothing I did seemed to help: screen clear, fresh mix, waiting a few hours to try again in case it was flooded, etc. So today, on a whim. I gave it a pull and it fired on the first try. Only thing I can attribute it to is the fresh fuel seeping past whatever was causing the blockage and dissolving same. Ran like a top all afternoon. Good luck.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Wow, where to start with the info you gave us. We know you have spark so next logical thing to do it check compression any thing less than 105 psi you might as will by a new one. I comp is good then its time for a leak down test. I gaskets, fuel lines and seals all test ok then its time for a carb rebuild or a new carb.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you have spark, take the air cleaner off and get a can of starting fluid and put the straw in the nozzle of the can, grab the saw, open the throttle all the way and give it a half-second burst of starting fluid, and pull that recoil. If it begans to run and dies, do it untill it either flushes all the old crap out of the carb, or you get tired of messing with it, which means the carb needs to come off and be rebuilt, or a new carb,(your choice). old fuel and carburetors are a losing proposition as your finding out

·
Banned
23,143 Posts
I learned the hard way with my 021 / 210 those chainsaws you really have
to yank on that cord, hard to describe because it's not like pull-starting a
mower since it takes less muscle but the key to it is that it has to come out quick.

Almost like a jabbing motion but in reverse, a jerking like motion of sorts.
I hate it but once you get used to it then it's not so bad,
mine almost always start now :p

Also I run 93 octane in them, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I learned the hard way with my 021 / 210 those chainsaws you really have
to yank on that cord, hard to describe because it's not like pull-starting a
mower since it takes less muscle but the key to it is that it has to come out quick.

Almost like a jabbing motion but in reverse, a jerking like motion of sorts.
I hate it but once you get used to it then it's not so bad,
mine almost always start now :p

Also I run 93 octane in them, if that makes a difference.
Hey Tops, 10-4 on the start action, drop and pull, have you messed with any of the newer Poulans that have the extra spring in the recoil assembly? EVERYONE is a guarenteed one pull rope braker, what junk, why do they mess with something that has worked so well for so long, I've been converting them back to the old style recoil cause nobody is able to start the sorry SOB's the way their set up now

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I got it started!

I changed the gas
Then pulled the spark and tried to start w/o the spark plug
put the plug back in
took out air filter
and it fired right up

turned it off, put the air filter back in, will not start so i took it out and it fired right up

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I got it started!

I changed the gas
Then pulled the spark and tried to start w/o the spark plug
put the plug back in
took out air filter
and it fired right up

turned it off, put the air filter back in, will not start so i took it out and it fired right up
Well, of course you won't even think of sawing wood without a new air filter installed, will you? Like I mentioned before, they do get clogged after a while. How many hours do you think you have on this if I may ask?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am not sure as it was given to me by my grandfater

It is going to the shop to get the chain sharpened and a new air filter

what will runnig it without one do to the engine?
I doubt if it'll be a problem if you are just running it as you have already done, but if you start to saw wood with it and the chain is sharp, there will be a lot of saw dust in the air that would get sucked up by the engine. That dust-infected intake air would go through the carburetor, of course, and if that happens, then you may have some real problems. Just don't do it.

Sounds like you are new to using a chain saw. Be very careful for the sake of your own safety, and be sure to never let the sharpened chain touch dirt or stones when sawing. If you do, you'll dull the chain in a blink of an eye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.