Lawn Care Forum banner

sticky grass

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brickman Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Ok I have a yard that has rye planted. Not going to be a problem soon but for now its a pain.
Anyone have any ideas about how to keep grass from clogging under deck. This rye has been fert by owner and grows fast. It seems no matter how I cut it it still sticks to deck. Thought about spraying underside of deck with diesal fuel. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
well first off diesel fuel is HIGHLY!!! flammable so stay away from that. Think if you hit a rock and made a spark. That would be ugly. Make sure that the grass is completely dry when mowed. check your blades to see if they are sharp and maybe look into getting different blades if that isn't the problem.
Also, maybe the problem is that your mower is underpowered to cut that thick of grass. :(

#6 ·
LD,
I can't attest as to whether or not the diesel will keep the grass from sticking however I certainly wouldn't let the flammability issue stop me from trying it. Anyone who has ever tried to start a fire with diesel could tell you that the residual fuel on the underside of a mower deck isn't going to cause an explosion.

#7 ·
I agree that diesel would be hard to ignite, but it doesn't sound like the best idea, what if the diesel had an effect on the grass? I don't know if it would be enough to harm it but it still makes me iffy. Maybe some Pam...lol.

Hank

#8 ·
LawnDoctor,

You might try diesel which has alot of oil in it. After it dryed, there should be an oily film on the underside of your deck. Seems easier to just blast it with some WD40 and give it a try.

I wouldn't worry about the diesel fuel catching fire or anything - no more than what's going to be left on the underside of your deck.

I don't know, that's a good question, though.

Thanks,

BAMARED

#9 ·
I am kinda a fire nut, and have tried different things. In about 5 mins after spraying on the diesel fuel the only thing there to burn would be the oily residue. I don't think that you would have to worry too much about an explosion, but who knows.
Try the MO deck you mentioned. I just started to, so can't really offer you much as to how it works yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.