Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Those mowers look like Ferris twins--just look at the suspension systems.
That's because they are made by Briggs and Stratton for Stihl. Pretty much just a Ferris with cosmetic changes.

Standers are next year. I am willing to bet walk behinds will be shortly after.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Saw these at the Equip expo.

I don't know Ferris' models, but to my untrained eye, it's clearly obvious that they're simply Ferris compies. Not sure where the low end residential models are sourced from. I remember seing prices up to 17k for the commercial models. Seems to be in line with other manufacturers, and their top-of-the-line models.

Personally, I can't stand these "me too" product copies - I couldn't be less interested to be honest.

Interesting to hear that Stihl could be buying Ferris altogether.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Prairie Farms Dairy makes the state of Illinois Blue Ribbon milk...they also make a LOT of private label milk for a lot of other grocery brands etc...yet the only difference is the label applied to the plastic container after it comes off the blow-mold...nobody cares.

There's a spit-ton of products that is made by other companies, I'm quite confidant you have quite a few in your home right now, so no big deal about it being built by Ferris...in fact, they could've done far worse!! Ferris is a good quality machine, so I suspect the price might be a bit higher on the Stihl, who cares?? Right now it makes good business sense for both, and especially Stihl if they were to buy the Ferris line. I suspect they will likely buy the Simplicity brand as well if priced right...likely a bundle deal anyway.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Honestly, I am always highly pessimistic of companies that venture so far out of their usual stream of products. Felt the same about redmax and their ztr, Dewalt & well a who lot of things. Guys just be careful if your lady has a dewalt toy of her own, might get a little warm for her. And for me personally, I just feel like Stihl has so much more to concentrate on and perfect vs filling a nitch in a market that they do not exist yet. Shows where priorities are.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What do they have to concentrate on?? Seems to me being an outdoor tool operation, this is the next logical step. People said the same thing you just did when they came out with pressure washers and battery powered mowers, battery powered handhelds, saws etc. It doesn't seem to me they're losing focus, rather the opposite. Entering a field with a proven design to gather more market share seems pretty smart. You have Stihl loyalists who will be buying these ZT's to have a complete Stihl setup...I don't see the downside here. For most companies' expansion is a very welcome thing. As for perfecting, what would that be?? No manufacturer has perfected their units to become the absolute epitome of greatness....or perfection as you note. On a personal note, I think it's pretty cool! Now if we could get a 2-stroke engine...you know, something along the lines of 3-cylinder Kawasaki H2 750cc, or a Mercury Racing 6-cylinder tower of power, you can even have the same sound as your chainsaw!! (That is joke and only a joke. Had this been an actual true thought you would not be reading this disclaimer. We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading)

Ok, now that all the snowflakes are happy, hope everyone has a great weekend!

Well shoot, heck yeah!! Let's go with those big 2-smokers!! Ring-ding-ding ding....

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
What's sad here is the market is flooded with mower manufacturers and they still get away with charging 15k plus.
It's due to all the negative facets of our current economy. Solutions? Demand goes way down (via recession/depression) and prices follow. Monetary deflation (the dollar gains value/buying power) would also lead to price reductions. A strong, multi-year (>5) recession/depression would likely cause a noticeable drop in prices.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
The Snapper versions of Ferris models have cheaper MSRPs.
OR, is it that the Ferris versions of the Snapper models are more expensive? lol
Chicken - egg ... IDK.
Snapper is generally the lower priced unit, but not all are identical past looks.
The Snapper version of my (older) 36" walk behind does not have electric start and it has a different, angled deck - my Ferris has timed blades where the "identical" Snapper does not.

Things may have changed on newer models though, so I can't comment on any similarities on those.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
What do they have to concentrate on?? Seems to me being an outdoor tool operation, this is the next logical step. People said the same thing you just did when they came out with pressure washers and battery powered mowers, battery powered handhelds, saws etc. It doesn't seem to me they're losing focus, rather the opposite. Entering a field with a proven design to gather more market share seems pretty smart. You have Stihl loyalists who will be buying these ZT's to have a complete Stihl setup...I don't see the downside here. For most companies' expansion is a very welcome thing. As for perfecting, what would that be?? No manufacturer has perfected their units to become the absolute epitome of greatness....or perfection as you note. On a personal note, I think it's pretty cool! Now if we could get a 2-stroke engine...you know, something along the lines of 3-cylinder Kawasaki H2 750cc, or a Mercury Racing 6-cylinder tower of power, you can even have the same sound as your chainsaw!! (That is joke and only a joke. Had this been an actual true thought you would not be reading this disclaimer. We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading)

Ok, now that all the snowflakes are happy, hope everyone has a great weekend!

Well shoot, heck yeah!! Let's go with those big 2-smokers!! Ring-ding-ding ding....
Stihl could make their stuff run better! That would be a novel approach. I got tired of tinkering and tried the 4 mix stuff, but then I had to adjust the valves. Kinda destroyed the point of 2 cycle. I run all ECHO now and it's all REAL 2 cycle stuff.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's due to all the negative facets of our current economy. Solutions? Demand goes way down (via recession/depression) and prices follow. Monetary deflation (the dollar gains value/buying power) would also lead to price reductions. A strong, multi-year (>5) recession/depression would likely cause a noticeable drop in prices.
But prices rarely go down after recessions because corporate America is greedy AF.

·
Registered
1984 Elcamino
13 Posts
Have any of yo guys seen these things? Thoughts? Does anybody know the price?

Link to Stihl zero turns
I haven’t. However, for the price difference, I went with the “Gravely 60” Zero Turn ZT HD MODEL; 26 hp Kawasaki engine. 1300 plus hours. Only changed fluids, replaced starter solenoid and anti-scalp wheels( all after about 1200 hours of use.) (I did adjust one valve)(just ticking some ) still was running fine. I use it to cut almost 5 acres (in 2.5-3hours). At any choice, I highly recommend the Kawasaki engine Over Briggs or Koehler . (Less fuel consumption also).Mine still doesn’t use or leak Any oil after 1300 hours plus.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts