1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 029 Farm Boss froze up?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rvincent, Mar 25, 2007.

1. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

I was up at the cabin this weekend cutting firewood with my new saw. Cut awsome for about 2 hours, then all of the sudden, it just froze and shut off right away. The chain turns, but the flywheel (pullcord) wont move. I took it apart a little and saw though the spark plug hole the piston was intacked, and it moved up then stopped. It will move up, then stop, move down then stop. I was moving it by turning on the clutch. It sounds like when it stops its hitting metal inside.

Did a wrist pin move out a little? Any other ideas? Anyone have this problem before.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

was it brand new? what type and mix ratio were you using?

3. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

it was used 2-3 times for an hour or so each time. I was using a 50:1 mix (stihl oil, 89 oct gas)

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen the cranks break if the chain sprocket is worn badly where the chain pops over a cog. Was it making a poping/jerking noise? After inspecting and removing the clutch and you still have issues - you'll have to tear it down to find the problem.