1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Back Pack Blower 340 Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by statman, May 12, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

This is just a couple weeks old, and is losing power real bad. Any Ideas what it could be?

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it back to the dealer... Its still under warranty.. Could be clogged exhaust port.

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

reset your carb adjustments. Maybe?? Pretty easy on all Stihl's.... Or take it back to the dealer for a checkup, Hell, you just bought it.

Just some advice- I like to run a whole tank of fuel through a stihl before I use it (new blower, saw, trimmer, whatever) at full throttle. Just let it sit there and run. It's a good engine break-in.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

Why did you get the 340, I didn't think they were still making them.

5. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Clogged exhaust screen, thanks!

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That don't seem possible in two weeks? You better look at what kind of oil mix you are running.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You really need to run a name brand premium fuel as well, 93 octane.

8. scottp

scottp LawnSite Member

FYI - Not sure if you replaced the spark screen or left it off, but a quick easy fix to that is remove it from blower, grab it with a needle-nose pliers and burn up the carbon with a torch. Works great.