1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac B., Mar 16, 2005.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys used the new Stihl BR 550 blower yet? What are you opinions? Does it have enough power? Is it worth the lower cost to go with it instead of a Redmax or comparable blower? My dealer had one for $399. I have a BR 340 now that is only one year old, is it worth buying a BR 550?

Thanks Mac

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had the chance to demo one a few weeks ago. WE were able to push a brick around the parking lot with it, we didnt actually get a chance to work it in leaves or grass clippings, I think the blower is very loud, alot louder than the br340 I have now. I will probably purchase a br550 but it will be in the fall of the year. Hopefully if there are any bugs in them they will be worked out by then.

3. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

I have run them side by side and the new Stihl blower doesn't even come close to the power of the Redmax 8000 or the Echo PB-651. Redmax and Echo have 2 year commercial warranties as well.

It's too noisy and very heavy for the power that you get

4. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

I tried 1 last week @ an open house. They are pieces. Stihl was my favorite blowers and company until I tried Shindaiwa @ the same open house. We purchased 2 Shindaiwa EB630 blowers & a powerbroom pb270. Sorry Stihl!! Except for their Cut Off Saws they are going down hill.

5. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

I have a Echo dealer here in town. Is the Echo as good as the Redmax and has their quality improved from years past? Why are the Stihls "pieces" ?

Thanks Mac

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried the BR550 and was very disappointed with it. Very loud and very under-powered. It would be fine for clippings and dry leaves but I suspect when the wet fall leaves need to be moved it will be like the BR420C, under-powered.

The Redmax EBZ8000 is very powerful but very heavy, I'm willing to endure the extra weight in the fall because I am done much quicker. The Echo PB751 or 651 would also be a good choice.

7. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

Echo is a great choice if you have a local dealer that you like go for it. The PB-651 is a very good blower and it comes with a 2 year commercial warranty.

If you have a dealer nearby, try the Redmax as well.

8. Scottish LScape

Once you try Shindaiwa or Redmax I'll see why Stihl is in 3rd place! Can't comment on Echo never have used one. I think Stihl is becoming a Homeowner Company and thats to bad, because I own alot of their equipment and I try to stay with 1 brand. Stihl in mind has dropped the ball!

9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

"Except for their Cut Off Saws they are going down hill."

I will buy a Partner cutoff saw any day before I would buy a stihl!

10. Scottish LScape

Never tried a Partner cut off saw. But, my Stihl has been going strong for 3 years. :D