1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnBarber, Sep 16, 2006.

1. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I've come to a conclusion on a new backpack blower. I've been imprest with the 4-mix trimmers. Those of you that have a Br-550 do you like it? Does it have enough power for tough jobs? Also do you wish you purchased the 600? My dealer has a 550 for $399.95 or, Should I order a 600 for $469.95. Thanks.

2. GrassMonkey

GrassMonkey LawnSite Member

I recently had a Stihl BR420 and 380 Magnum stolen along with my two 85R's and took the opportunity to change over to the 4Mix products. I chose the BR550 and the FS100RX. So far, so good. Although, there is a difference between the 420 and the 550 it is not significant. So I ended up with a similar blower but I am ok with that becasue the 420 was fairly strong. I have yet to encounter in big leaf jobs to evaluate its performance but I have no worries that it will be fine. The sound takes some getting used to but my crew and I really love the lower noise level.

BG

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I most defiantly would pay the 70$ difference, and purchase the BR600.The CFM numbers tell the story as to why I would pay the difference. The BR600 is an excellent blower, and pretty fuel efficient.

BR550-530 CFM

BR600-714 CFM

4. TheLawnBarber

thanks for the replys everybody. Keep them comming.

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a BR600 and a BG85 and both are fantastic.
    The BR is super strong and light to carry.
    Definitely worth the extra $

(I really dont understand why the 550 even exists, its basically the same blower, but lower cfm... go figure.)

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The power difference of the 600 is well worth it , also the lighter weight is noticeable. Power to do everything that you need it to do.:weightlifter:

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I agree 100% I love my BR600.

Rob

8. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 600. :weightlifter:

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I bought my BR600 my dealer let me demo a BR550 for about a week. The difference is like night and day........GET the 600!!!

10. TheLawnBarber

Thanks guys I'm going to roll up at my Stihl dealer and order the 600 Monday!!!