Lawn Care Forum banner

Stihl BR 500, 550 or 600

83K views 332 replies 22 participants last post by  weeze 
#1 ·
Could someone please explain the difference between these machines?
They are the same size motor and roughly the same price and weight, yet the air throughput varies greatly.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
The BR500 is intended for areas with noise restrictions. The BR550 and 600 are nearly identical except for the output. Some people don't have a need for super high output or can't afford the cost of the BR600 so Stihl has a slightly less powerful and costly alternative in the BR550.

#4 ·
Actually there is a great deal of difference between the blowers. When people look at blowers they tend to focus on Mph figure and the one they pick will be the highest. The BR-550 has a 199mph while the BR-600 Has a 201Mph, Not a lot of difference so why the big difference in price?

That's easy, it's called CFM. The thing to focus on is the CFM, or cubic feet per minute, of air volume that the blower is capable of pushing. It is the volume of air moved, not the speed of the air flow, which has the biggest impact on moving leaves and other debris.

The BR-550 has 530 CFM of air Volume, The BR-600 has 712 CFM of air Volume. That's what you need to focus on not the max speed. Manufacturers use the max speed of there blowers to catch the eye and there customers. So depending on what you're buying the blower for you need to buy accordingly.

#6 · (Edited)
You made a good choice.

It's all in the CFM's, you can forget the MPH as a number it's always between 160 and 210.
That's because MPH is merely the end result of squeezing X amount of CFM's through a tube.
The more CFM's you push through the same tube, the higher your MPH will be.
But in and of itself MPH means little, it's in the CFM's.
The more CFM's it can push, the badder the blower.

It's actually the same thing with air compressors, psi's and cfm's.

#8 ·
Yep..i researched this about 2 months ago, and once spring hits...the 600 is going to be my first 2013 equipment purchase unless something unforeseen occurs.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Iver heard good things about that one as well....but for my needs its definitly overkill. The 600 is overkill for my day to day needs..but here is why i am going with the stihl 600:

Its three pounds lighter and comes in at 21.6 pounds before fuel. The 600 has a smaller gas tank, but that is fine with me. That extra capacity on the redman would just mean more weight on my back, and for the day to day work, i dont need anything that big.

The 600 is overkill actually for my day to day blowing tasks, but its plenty to do the leaf cleanups that I will see in my area (west texas) if needs be. So I didnt feel the need for the extra weight of the redman. Thats just my logic, but hope this helps a little. I dont even have a backpack blower yet, but have looked at a few of the models, and actually went to take a closer look at the stihl in person, and from what I saw..i liked. And just in case i need the power, I have it on demand, so felt it was a better choice than the other stihl blowers. I dont mow early in the day, so a quieter model wasnt necessary either.

BR 600 STIHL Magnum®
64.8 cc (3.95 cu. in.)
3.0 kW (4.0 bhp)
9.8 kg (21.6 Ibs.)
1400 cc (47.3 oz.)
Redman EBZ8500
Cylinder displacement
75.6 cc
Power output
4.43 hp
Fuel tank volume
77.77 fl oz
Weight
24.69 lbs

#20 ·
I paid $500. + tax. That is the average price. You didn't want to pay $475.?? That seems like a very decent price. The blower is new right?
Yes it is brand new on self I think he can do a lower price I will wait to see what the HUSQVARNA dealer will do on a 580BTS he said he will sell me all most at his cost so I will see.On monday after he talk to he's rep.

#21 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't even bother to ask for any $ off the price of small power equipment.

Mowers and trucks - that's a different story.
I buy hole lot of stuff lincoln's,Big rc airplanes (17),lot of tools(shop full),lawn mower (5)zt's and riding (3)push ,trimmers , blowers ,tillers and so on so I cut it what I can so I can buy some thing else.

#22 ·
I did go by a HUSQVARNA and a Stihl dealer today the HUSQVARNA had nothing at all to sell he said he will get them soon the Stihl dealer was full I look at the BR 600 STIHL Magnum I said what is the best deal? He said $475 plus tax.I said see you late.
You should be looking at no more than $450 with tax for the BR600. He's not even giving 10% off.

#24 ·
Thank you !you see it the way I do .The HUSQVARNA dealer said there is big markup on this stuff.And I did say will take $450 out the door? He said do you want the keys to the store if I did that we would be swoping money so I said I see you later.
Hey if he sold you the unit for $450 he's still making a real good profit. The BR 600 mag is sells for $499 here. At $475 plus tax you would still be paying over $500 out the door. Like I said your not even getting 10% and the normal discount should be that much, I'd go find another dealer cause he sure doesn't sound like he's interested in your business.

#25 ·
Hey if he sold you the unit for $450 he's still making a real good profit. The BR 600 mag is sells for $499 here. At $475 plus tax you would still be paying over $500 out the door. Like I said your not even getting 10% and the normal discount should be that much, I'd go find another dealer cause he sure doesn't sound like he's interested in your business.
Yes I will. I didno't know there is one only 4 mile from me one I stop at today was 17 miles and there 5 in 30 miles from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.