• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

stihl br420 blower hard starting

StihlDude777

LawnSite Member
I just rebuild a stihl br420 msgnum blower. installed new crank bearings, seals, gaskets, cylinder. piston,rings. a new after market carburator. it start after 4 pulls and does the same after it has warmed up. it does run like it should after it starts. what are the carb settings for the high and low needles. must have them set wrong to have it start like this.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
I just rebuild a stihl br420 msgnum blower. installed new crank bearings, seals, gaskets, cylinder. piston,rings. a new after market carburator. it start after 4 pulls and does the same after it has warmed up.

After you seat the needles, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out. But the problem might not be the settings, but that Chinesium carb. Maybe @ed2hess will reply, he is the resident Stihl Chinesium carb expert. :laughing:

All that other stuff you put in it was OEM Yes ?

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Did you check the carb insulator block fer warpage/ cracks ? Sealer on the gaskets? I always use a spray type sealer.

OP
StihlDude777

StihlDude777

LawnSite Member
the cylinder kit wasnt oem. I have used after market parts before with no problems gettin units to run correctly. I made a mistake the carburator is an oem that I rebuilt and cleaned. usually a br420 should start in 2 pulls on choke cold, not 4 and shouldnt take 4 more pulls when already warm. will try the correct carb adjustments and sealer on all carb & msnifold gaskets and c if that helps.