Lawn Care Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stihl is going to come out with a new model backpack blower called the br420.

The company that I work for on the side was choosen to test beat this new model before it comes out.

The br 420 is pretty much just an updated version of the br400. The casing and stuff is redesigned but nothing to major. The reps siad that they have fixed the hard starting problem. I got a chance to use it today, it was pretty good but still dosn't compare to the redmax and shindawias, although it does seem to have a little more power than the older blowers. The reps did say that stihl is also going to come out with a newer model comparable to the redmax, so we'll have to see what they come up with. The 420 is an improvment though. After I used the 420 I used one of the redmaxxes and I still like the redmax better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Forget Stihl, the longevity stinks.
We have a shindaiwa blower that has been around for at least ten years and is still used daily. We have never had a stihl last over three seasons.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
nathan--that's pretty unfortunate luck you have with sthil blowers.

mines four years old and running great. zero problems except for the usual broken choke knob. replaced once for $1.80.

I remember the shindawa I tried the same day I bought the sthil. I didn't like it.

GEO

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
If they want to fix the "hard to start every freakin' time" problem all they need to do is put a primer bulb on the thing. The hard starting is the only thing I don't like about mine. Everytime it's 7 or 8 pulls to start.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Martin
If they want to fix the "hard to start every freakin' time" problem all they need to do is put a primer bulb on the thing. The hard starting is the only thing I don't like about mine. Everytime it's 7 or 8 pulls to start.
Same here mine is 5 years old and the only oroblem is that it is hard to start.

G

·
I MUST HAVE 2 OF THE BEST STIHL'S EVER MADE. I HAVE 2 BR400'S AND THEY ARE BOTH 6YRS. OLD. WHEN I START THEM I PULL 3 TIMES WITH THE CHOKE ON AND THEN TURN IT OFF AND OFF WE GO. DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH STARTING YOURS.

·
Registered
773 Posts
On Friday, I fought my way through with an Echo handheld for the last time. I went and bought a Stihl BR420C backpack, to celebrate my first commercial account.

The first thing I have to say is, everyone who has encouraged the use of a backpack blower over a handheld (or at least the crummy ones I was using) was absolutely, completely, and in all other ways right. :)

The first thing I noticed when putting it in the field on Friday afternoon was the power (of course!). Power enough to make my hand and arm want to another direction when I cranked her up! ;)

The next thing I noticed was how much volume I could push w/o effort. Situations where I'd have to walk back and forth moving wet leaves, dirt, and grass now become one quick swipe. What a timesaver! It ranks right up there with the switch from a 21" mower to a 36", or from my handheld hedge trimmer to an FS85 trimmer attachment. Cleaning up is done in less than a 1/3 of the time on most places!

Yes, I've finally entered the 90s!

All weekend long, while the wife and I were working on the house, I was anxious to get my work week started again so I could strap this baby on!

Today will be a good day. :D

-TGC

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use an Echo 60 PB. It starts on the first pull almost every time. Just purchase two Echo PB47's from a pawn shop, they also start on the first pull. All of my 2-stroke equip. is Echo because of dealer location. I've found a dealer close that sells Shindaiwa and I will try there trimmers out this spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.