Lawn Care Forum banner

Stihl BR550 or BR600 blower?

22K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  GreenBra 
#1 ·
#3 ·
My handheld can push more leaves then the 550 can.

#7 ·
You'll get alot of comments on getting XYZ blower doing more but you'll have a hard time finding a better blower compairing ALL the features that come with a stihl blower. I have both a 550 and 600, the specs are very close on paper, but the 600 is a beast.

#9 ·
Honestly I just bought it yesterday because my 10hp billy goat blew a pushrod for the third time in 2 weeks. So I cannot atest to the longevity of the 580, but I have a 150bts that is 2 years old and runs like new still. The comfortability is amazing as it has a belly and chest strap. With that being said that I went from a 10hp walk behind to the 580 and was still impressed should say alot about it's power.

#13 ·
If you are going to buy stihl get the 600. I don't know why they still make the 500 and the 550. I'm pretty sure they have the same motor the difference is the squirrel cage on them. If you are going with the husky get the 570 or 580. From what I've heard on here the 580 is better at volume the 570 is better at get leaves that are stuck in bushes or vines. I have a BG 13hp blower that I got used. Great blower but if you have the money always get the biggest blower you can. I think you can get the BG 18hp VG for like 2800.or the 13 for like 2300.

#15 ·
I would get the 600 over the 550.

As far as the Husky 580 goes, yes it's a very powerful unit and it easily outblows a BR600M. But it is a gigantic and heavy unit that I wouldn't recommned for the smaller guys out there....we're talking around 30 pounds fueled...big, heavy and loud as hell. It is pretty comfortable due to an excellent harness system. I love my 580 but just wanted to point out that some people might find it too much of a burden to use.

#16 ·
i have a 550 and a redmax 8500 the redmax out performs the stihl hands down. that thing is a beast for blowing leaves well worth the money for it i will be buying another for next year no doubt about it. the 550 would be good for your daily blowing of driveways and sidewalks but for leaf clean up the 8500 is the best way to go. the redmax 8500 and the husky 580 are basicly the same blower with just a few bells and whistles different. i think the husky has different straps than the redmax

#19 ·
i have a 550 and a redmax 8500 the redmax out performs the stihl hands down. that thing is a beast for blowing leaves well worth the money for it i will be buying another for next year no doubt about it. the 550 would be good for your daily blowing of driveways and sidewalks but for leaf clean up the 8500 is the best way to go. the redmax 8500 and the husky 580 are basicly the same blower with just a few bells and whistles different. i think the husky has different straps than the redmax
Yes the Husky has a padded waist belt and a chest strap. It also has clips instead of screws to hold the air filter cover on and the fuel tank is a little bigger. I think the waist belt is a big plus for the Husky...nice to be able to take most of the load off your shoulders.

I bought mine last fall as a cleanup only machine but find it saves me time on my mowing route too...nice to be able to blow off pavement from 25 or 30 feet away and blowing out under my truck and trailer is no longer a process like it used to be...just give a good blast under there.

#20 ·
I went with the 600 magnum. not sure I even checked out the 550.

don't make up stories just because you have something against stihl.

there isn't a handheld on the market that will out blow a backpack. even staying with the stihl brand there handhelds won't out blow even there smallest backpack.
Actually there are handhelds that will outblow the small cheapie backpack blowers.

#21 ·
Lol, I have / had 4 stihl product's. BG85, br 600, fs90 and my br550 was stolen a couple years back. The 550 getting stolen was a blessing in disguise, the power was pretty disappointing.

#22 ·
I went with the 600 magnum. not sure I even checked out the 550.

there isn't a handheld on the market that will out blow a backpack. even staying with the stihl brand there handhelds won't out blow even there smallest backpack.
My BG85 outblows an ole Echo PB series backpack...
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Hi guys, I'm still new to this site, so please bare with me. I'll add my 2 cents to this, and I also have an issue with my backpack blower. I've got the BR600 Stihl, it's about 4 or 5 years ago. I bought it locally as a demo unit.

I've run the HECK out of that thing, over the past 4 years. As of lately, I have had quite a bit of trouble getting it to start. The float in the carb acts like it is sticking, as it floods itself to death, while sitting overnight.

I went to start it this afternoon, and when I went to give it a pull, the engine rolled over about 1/3 of a turn, and then locked up. I can tug on the starter rope until the rope almost snaps, and the engine won't budge.

Since day 1, I've used Stihl HP Ultra 50:1 oil mixture to one gallon. Never any problems beforehand. Is it shot? If so, I'm going to be in the market for a new backpack blower come next year. Any advice for me, or info would be great. Are there any other brands out there that are better than the Stihl? Thanks guys!

#26 ·
ah ok. thank you all very much
i am looking for a walk behind blower also- the 10 or 13hp one preferably

thank you very much for all your reccomendations
go with the 9hp honda little wonder, model is 270h i believe. honestly more power is better and will create a little more cfm, but its not worth pushing the extra weight around and the higher price tag. if you want your customers wondering how you got the job done so fast and how their lawn is cleaner then ever, BUY the little wonder. I did and that's what every new customer i get says, and they all say they have had several different big name companies do clean ups for them. As for the backpack blower, I have used echo pb770h which, the husky 180bt, and br600 which are all comparable cfm wise and price tag wise. they all cost about 530 after taxes in my area, the stihl is the lightest, then the echo, then the husky. the husky is also the most powerful, which is great if you are doing you clean ups with a backpack only, but you are not. so I would go with the lightest.....I have owned my echo pb770h for 7 years. and it still works great. my husky is 4 years old and still works great. both are much heavier then a br600, and now that i have all the tools to do clean ups the right way, I'm switching over to stihl br600's because they are light and quieter. and all i need backpacks for is blowing grass off, and blowing out beds, and leaves from corners. anything other then that my little wonder is used and once the pile becomes too large for that, I use my leaf plow and push the leaves wherever they have to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.