Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? My dealer carries both and said the rep came in with this tube with a softball inside of it. He said the BR600 pushed the softball up the tube much higher than the Redmax 8000. Opinions please.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
That is an interesting demonstration. The only problem is we don't use our blowers to push softballs up tubes.

The truth is that we, meaning those of us in the lawn and landscape industry, won't really be able to tell the true capabilities of the new BR600 until we start using them for some heavy duty yard debris removal this fall and winter. Until then we're just blowing off driveways and that is not what the BR600 and EB8000 were designed for.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Richard Martin said:
That is an interesting demonstration. The only problem is we don't use our blowers to push softballs up tubes.

The truth is that we, meaning those of us in the lawn and landscape industry, won't really be able to tell the true capabilities of the new BR600 until we start using them for some heavy duty yard debris removal this fall and winter. Until then we're just blowing off driveways and that is not what the BR600 and EB8000 were designed for.
I have to agree with you Richard. I am in the process on "shopping" for a new BP the 8000 crossed my mind but, I said to my self why do I need that big of a blower? So I think i'm settled on it's little brother the 7001.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Husqvarna had a weedeater test with a bucket of water they would put the trimmer in a bucket something like that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would still take the Redmax Strato Charged anyday. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Richard Martin said:

the TRUTH is, this is a relavent demo. it's meant to mimic a pressure-testing setup in a lab. pushing that ball vertically higher translates into pushing that small tree limb or wet, clump of leaves more easily.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
slicey said:
the TRUTH is, this is a relavent demo. it's meant to mimic a pressure-testing setup in a lab. pushing that ball vertically higher translates into pushing that small tree limb or wet, clump of leaves more easily.
Its easy to blow hard into a tube. lets see you do it on wet leaves on a costumers lawn.

John

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I just bought the new Stihl 600 and it seems to be very strong. I was actually ready to buy the 7001 for $405 when my dealer showed me the 600. All of the features seemed to be comparable.....CFMs, air speed, etc., but the Stihl is 5 or 6 pounds lighter than the Redmax. That makes a big difference to me, considering the amount of time we spend with these things strapped to our backs. So anyway, I picked up the new Stihl for $439. A bit more expensive, but the dealer support for the Stihl is much better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
John Gamba said:
Its easy to blow hard into a tube. lets see you do it on wet leaves on a costumers lawn.

John
the blower's fan(looks more like an impeller) does'nt look like your typical fan blade of ....say the DC, exhaust fan in a computer case but its interaction with the physical world are the same. there are multiple interactions but i'll just refer to one that best relates to our disagreement.
a fan's pressure measurement can give you an idea of its output, "push force" , at a given flow rate(CFM), at various pressure drop(airflow resistance) points. ever notice how stihl and others publish two CFM output ratings? one is w/o the tubing, the other w/ tubing attached. the latter # is way lower because of the back pressure that is added to the blower's airflow circuit. well, DC fans w/ higher static pressure ratings maintain a higher CFM output for a given value of pressure drop.
it's really more complex than this explanation shows but the jist of it is this-that stihl blower is going to tackle those wet leaves better. nuff said.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Mo Green said:
I just bought the new Stihl 600 and it seems to be very strong. I was actually ready to buy the 7001 for $405 when my dealer showed me the 600. All of the features seemed to be comparable.....CFMs, air speed, etc., but the Stihl is 5 or 6 pounds lighter than the Redmax. That makes a big difference to me, considering the amount of time we spend with these things strapped to our backs. So anyway, I picked up the new Stihl for $439. A bit more expensive, but the dealer support for the Stihl is much better.
Yeah, Stihl has a good support network. The lower weight, better ergonomics and more sleek design are also a plus. I think I have made up my mind to do the same thing you have before fall arrives.

The way I understand it, these blowers offer awsome power in a comfortable package. 712cfm/201mph at the pipe from a machine that weighs 20 lbs or basically the same as a BR340. That's hard to beat.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
grass_cuttin_fool said:
And also the difference in the gas consumption will make up the difference in price very soon. If the 4 stroke sips gas like they claim
The current owners of 4-Mix equipment are backing Stihl's claim also.

·
Registered
243 Posts
slicey said:
the blower's fan(looks more like an impeller) does'nt look like your typical fan blade of ....say the DC, exhaust fan in a computer case but its interaction with the physical world are the same. there are multiple interactions but i'll just refer to one that best relates to our disagreement.
a fan's pressure measurement can give you an idea of its output, "push force" , at a given flow rate(CFM), at various pressure drop(airflow resistance) points. ever notice how stihl and others publish two CFM output ratings? one is w/o the tubing, the other w/ tubing attached. the latter # is way lower because of the back pressure that is added to the blower's airflow circuit. well, DC fans w/ higher static pressure ratings maintain a higher CFM output for a given value of pressure drop.
it's really more complex than this explanation shows but the jist of it is this-that stihl blower is going to tackle those wet leaves better. nuff said.
Sir, what exactly is your background in the landscape industry. If I recall, you did not even no what trimer to purchase. I am at loss as to how you could help anyone..............

·
Registered
423 Posts
I needed to contribute to society with my other career before I picked up a hobby like LCO--one that you probably work your azz off to support your family of dogs and cats...if you took time to look at my bio, then that was time you could have been working to feed your loving animals...There is just something to be said for east coast people, but I will keep it to myself...

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
slicey said:
I really hate being talked down to. What's an impeller? Durr...

I'll tell you why the ball in a tube trick doesn't do a thing for me. It's because the leaves I intend to move with my new blower (when I make up my mind) aren't inside of a tube. The tube trick only shows what happens when all of the force (speed and volume) is concentrated inside of a tube.

The final 12 inches of a blower's tube can make a huge difference in how well or poorly a blower will move leaves. If the tube tends to make a large cone of air then that is worthless for moving heavy amounts of leaves but is great at gathering light leaves that are spread around together. If the tube makes a very tight cone of air then the opposite is true. What you want is a air cone that falls in between those two.

Engineering can do a best guess at what will actually happen but real world testing, by professional LCOs, will be the only true test of the new BR600.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Richard Martin said:
I really hate being talked down to. What's an impeller? Durr...

I'll tell you why the ball in a tube trick doesn't do a thing for me. It's because the leaves I intend to move with my new blower (when I make up my mind) aren't inside of a tube. The tube trick only shows what happens when all of the force (speed and volume) is concentrated inside of a tube.

The final 12 inches of a blower's tube can make a huge difference in how well or poorly a blower will move leaves. If the tube tends to make a large cone of air then that is worthless for moving heavy amounts of leaves but is great at gathering light leaves that are spread around together. If the tube makes a very tight cone of air then the opposite is true. What you want is a air cone that falls in between those two.

Engineering can do a best guess at what will actually happen but real world testing, by professional LCOs, will be the only true test of the new BR600.
Thank you Richard

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.