Stihl BR600 won't run when hot (stalls out)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A.Kingsford, Oct 19, 2017.

1. A.Kingsford

A.Kingsford LawnSite Member

I bought this unit new about 3 years ago and it worked great up until this season. It starts perfectly and runs great for about 10-15 minutes. Then (while still at full throttle) it stalls out completely...no warning, no hesitation first, nothing. I can't feather the throttle or drop to idle to keep it going. It will immediately start back up and run great again for up to 30 seconds, but it will keep stalling unless I let it cool completely.

I've replaced the carb, fuel lines, air filter, spark plug. Checked clearance on valves, plug, and ignition module. Cleaned/removed spark arrestor, cleaned magneto contacts on flywheel. I use 89 octane (up to 10% ethanol, but what can you do about that anymore?). Synthetic Stihl brand HP Ultra oil mixed 50:1.

The serial # is 292745529.

Any ideas???

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Usually when they just shut off it's an ign problem. There were problems with a vendor during that period. But stop wasting money throwing parts at it. For the failure that was that occurring during that span, you can get by with a cheap inline tester. It would lose all spark.
    And if and when you replace the module, make sure you use the small plastic insulating washers between the laminations and bosses on engine.
    They stop some of the heat sink after you shut it off after long periods of use. They use to come with the module. They don't anymore. They do make a difference. Don't let some hammerhead tell you otherwise.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. c0ke

c0ke LawnSite Member

I would probably replace your ignition coil.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. A.Kingsford

A.Kingsford LawnSite Member

It needed new fuel lines and filters anyway. The only thing I probably didn't need was the carburetor, but it wasn't much.

I just ordered a new ignition module for a few bucks... hopefully that does it.

Thanks for the quick answers.

hort101 likes this.
  6. c0ke

c0ke LawnSite Member

No problem. Good luck. We had the same thing happen with some of our equipment. I hope everything works out

7. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Senior Member

in case he doesn't reply that the new ignition coil aka magneto fixed it, then I would vote that also. He replaced the carb already so it shouldn't be the Rich/Lean adjustment on the carb causing the stall out. I have a backpack that the ignition coil caused a similar problem: starts up and runs perfect but a PITA to restart when the engine's hot. Let it cool 20 mins and it starts right up. Replaced the ignition coil and the problem went away. It's a Ryobi backpack so the ignition coil was pretty cheap on ebay (~$12) but they start to go again in 9-12 months.