Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember which model I was looking at...

Anyone have anything negative to say about Stihl's extended hedge trimmers? The Stihl I was looking at had a 8 or 9 inch reach advantage over the Echo. You could also put a chain saw attachment on the Stihl.

Price was $449 and the chain saw attachment was $179... good?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I have a Stihl pole clipper.

Please don't ask the model :confused:

It's not an extend pole but it serves us well. We got the saw attachment free last year.

Nice machine, used everyday during trimming, not a problem in 2 seasons

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have the Stihl FS85 trimmer that accepts the articulating hedge trimmer head. I also have the power broom, power sythe and chain saw attachments. I think I payed around $300 for the trimmer. Check eBay for attachments , theres always some on there.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I use the same shop for many years. We have a great relationship. They just gave it to me. And I get something to demo 3 of the last 5 years. Last year a Redmax 7001, had it the entire season before having to give it back. Year before that a Stihl line trimmer. This year nothing :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
One needs a "special" tool to inject "special" grease.....
Doesn't fit with my other ZERKS.....
Like it but that one thing removes it from my battle pack!
It's all about survival....
:cool:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I looked at the stihl, and went with the Shindiawa articulating as it rotates 180 degrees and the stihl just 90 degrees. Cost a little more but I think it is a better machine. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm not an expert on these machines but the dealer sells both and I demode both and the shindiawa has more than just one cutting postion difference. I know the stihl articulates only one direction and the shindiawa forwards and backwards. :)

·
Banned
656 Posts
Please Count your Cutting Positions.

The Shin. Has 10-The Stihl Has 9. The only advantage to the extra articulation is for transport & storage.

The Shin. Also has a less Powerful Engine.

Never Trust Your Dealer.

The Mark-up on Shin. is Better than Stihl.

·
Registered
114 Posts
o have an fs-85 and an fs-83 (sthil) both of which can accept any attachment, i purchased them to use mostly for weedwhacking but also for trimming hedges with the 9 postion hedge trimmer atachment which i have to say is EXCELLENT and has more then paid it self off in the first year. it paid itself over 4 times today! there great ... if you are into trimming hedges... YOU NEED ONE!!! \
just my .02$

g'nite

·
Banned
726 Posts
I have that Stihl articulating hedge trimmer attachment that fits on my trimmer and edger (a.k.a. dawg-whacker). It works pretty well on the edger, but the shaft on the trimmer gets too dirty for smooth change-outs. That setup worked well to make a first of the season take-down cut on some heavy reeds, that I now maintain with Gator-Line.

They make two dedicated extended hedge-trimmer units, one is standard length and the other is kind of mid-length, with either the fixed or articulating heads. Of course it depends on your accounts, but the extended hedge-trimmers are pretty awkward (but usable) on regular sized hedges. They're especially clumsy for hedge-work near other obstacles, and there are always “other” obstacles. That’s why I bought a standard 24” hedge trimmer earlier this season and it paid for itself the same day!

So you’re thinking of getting a power-pruner attachment. What about buying a dedicated power-pruner and then a hedge trimmer attachment for that extra-long shaft, giving you even greater reach? That is unless it would be your only hedge trimmer.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I run the Stihl FS85RT and have most of the attachments. I am using my 5.5' truck bed for handheld storage at the moment so it is great to have the half-shafts instead of the full length trimmers.
Everything works great...good design (change-over in 15 seconds). I have been using mine for about 2 years now. The pole saw is awesome (makes quick work of trimming jobs, cuts quickly, and can handle big stuff). I even turned the head sideways one time to use the chainsaw as a clearing saw (thick briars). There is one improvement I made on the pole saw (if you get one let me know).
The hedge trimmer works as it should, and the edger is awesome.

I am thinking about selling my 85RT to a friend and buying the new 4 stroke version (more torque for the edger). The edger works great on all but the most neglected props.

Jimbo

BTW- Even though the system seems very strong at the connection point I am concerned about putting it in the trimmer racks I plan to get. I like to know everything is tight on my rig and the thing coming loose scares me. Im sure this is just me being too cautious, but??

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Originally posted by Live4Mowin'
bob, in what situations do you use your power scythe?
The power sythe is used for clearing brush. It looks likea short hedge clipper and the bottom is reinforced. I'll post a picture later.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i have an ht75 power pruner with the chainsaw and hedge trimmer attachments and i love them, paid for them selves many many times over.money well spent.
i use it mostly for trimming hedges, its a great time saver.

i have a question now.........
im in the market for an extened reach hedge trimmer, because there are just somethings that the ht75 is just too long for.
my question is, should i buy the hl75 hedge trimmer or should i buy the fs85 weedwacker trimmer and just use the articulating hedge clipper attachment i already have.that way i get a new trimmer out of the deal as well.

what do you guys think i should do????????

·
Registered
114 Posts
FS85 thats what im using now and the fs83 i love them both they dont make the 83 anymore though but the 85 works just as fine... it takes 2 lossened screws a pull and a push and 2 tightend screw.. maybe 30 seconds at the most its great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.