1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS-90R throttle cable repair - pics

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Roger, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Two recent threads asked about replacing the parts inside the handle of an FS90R trimmer when making a throttle cable replacement. I make this replacement a couple of weeks ago, but failed to shoot pics and post. Sorry, ... I was pressed for time the evening I did the task, and wanted to get finished.

As promised in a recent thread, I would open my handle and shoot some pics of the handle parts. However, as promised, I would NOT take all the parts out and replace for the sake of pics. So, here are some pics of the insides, in the finished state. Yes, step-by-step would be more helpful, but perhaps these will get somebody out of a predicament. I've taken many pics, made some simple annotations of them, with texts of descriptions. I apologize -- don't do this enough times to really learn. So, my text bubbles are not very elegant, but hopefully they will tell the story. Hang tight, there are quite a few pics, probably have to be spread across several posts.

Hope this might help somebody ..

P2070001.jpg

P2070002.jpg

P2070004.jpg

P2070007.jpg

P2070008.jpg

P2070011.jpg

P2070012.jpg

P2070013.jpg

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

And, the last ones ...

P2070029.jpg

P2070031.jpg

P2070033.jpg

P2070036.jpg

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post.

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Roger, Stihl needs to put you on staff as an illustrator for either(both) their owners manual or their repair manual--on the other hand I'll have to admit I've not seen their repair manuals.:clapping:

6. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Great job, could have used it last week.

7. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Roger.

8. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

Did this tonight on my 110. Got apart and said Oh sh--. Just where did these 2 other springs come from. Took me a while but, I got it. Wish I would have paid more attention and looked for this first. My other 2 will go out sometime. I'll be ready for them then.

9. Herman Kantz

Herman Kantz LawnSite Member

This is a great post - thanks Roger.
    For reference to the parts layout before assembly is put on the shaft I took a few quick photos which I hope will be of some help to someone down the road.
    Two items that you may want to note are the return spring for the kill switch. This spring returns the throttle from locked wide open / start to idle position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other item that is prone to pop out is the cable outer sheath stop / free play adjuster. Some throttle free play can be taken up or increased by depressing / disengaging the teeth with a small flat blade and pushing it in the desired direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

H K

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad to know the original post, albeit three years ago, has been helpful. Thanks to Herman for adding some pics to better explain the repair.

ed2hess likes this.