Lawn Care Forum banner

stihl fs 90r

22K views 96 replies 22 participants last post by  ReRide 
#1 ·
well, ive been using my 2cycle troy built trimmer for almost 5 years now with very little problems. i always clean the carb at the end of the season, and run a 50:1 mix with 87 octane. It always starts on the 3rd or 4th pull, but now im starting to feel a little sore in my back and neck because im not standing straight up while trimming due to the shorter shaft and 14lbs of weight that it weighs. :cry: I went down to the dealer thismorning and lifted a fs 90r off the shelf and was very impressed with the weight (11lbs i think) and balance of it. The shaft is almost 11" longer than the troy built allowing me to stand straight up. Its a very nice unit! dealer wants $399 for it. So i asked him about any end of season pricing and he said they sell for $379 in the spring but would let it go for that price now. Im very tempted to go back and get it but whats the point right now with winter approaching. I hate to lay the TB to rest, but i think for the $400 it might just help with some of the pain i've been experiencing from the TB. Does anybody recommend this trimmer by stihl or a different model?

#3 ·
No, its for light commercial use. im pretty sure of it anyways. That TB is awesome and i cant kill it, i just wish it wasnt so heavy and short.

#7 ·
haha, i would probably spend the difference in gas anyways. i would only take a road trip if i was going to spend a few k and save a bunch at the same time!

#11 ·
BTW-
if you want plenty of power in the lightest package out right now, get a Husqvarna 223L or 323L (9lbs). The223 has more than enough power for all but the worst scenarios, and the 323 is the same power as the FS90. I own a 223L and an FS90R, and the 90 mhas become either my full tiime stick edger, or on occasion my pole saw when needed.

#13 ·
I think hes in Canada and the price is in Canadian dollars
yup im in canada

I just bought a new Echo SRM 225. It is lighter than the Stihl, and it is a real 2 stroke, with no valves to ever have to adjust. Great trimmer....Oh, and it is only $219 USD.
i just checked out the echo website, and i believe its about 1lb lighter than the fs 90r. it costs around $300 up here in canada. im not too worried about the valve adjusting on the fs 90r as i own a yzf250 that i adjust valves on. stihl has a little kit you can buy for around $30 to adjust them yourself which is what i would end up doing if i decided to get the fs 90r. is the 225 quiet?

BTW-
if you want plenty of power in the lightest package out right now, get a Husqvarna 223L or 323L (9lbs). The223 has more than enough power for all but the worst scenarios, and the 323 is the same power as the FS90. I own a 223L and an FS90R, and the 90 mhas become either my full tiime stick edger, or on occasion my pole saw when needed.
so do you have the stihl kombi, or is there attachments you can bolt on to the end of the 90?

#14 ·
I use fs90r's and they work great for me. I have never adjusted the valves and never really needed to. I don't have much experience with the other brands but if you're set on stihl, the 90r is a great investment and a big upgrade from the TB.
i've always been a stihl fan. i guess because when my dad had his rental business, thats all he sold....and thats pretty much all i serviced.

#15 ·
yup im in canada

i just checked out the echo website, and i believe its about 1lb lighter than the fs 90r. it costs around $300 up here in canada. im not too worried about the valve adjusting on the fs 90r as i own a yzf250 that i adjust valves on. stihl has a little kit you can buy for around $30 to adjust them yourself which is what i would end up doing if i decided to get the fs 90r. is the 225 quiet?

so do you have the stihl kombi, or is there attachments you can bolt on to the end of the 90?
I have the FS90R. It isn't the kombi unit. It only takes a few moments longer to swap heads with the regular 90 than it does on the kombi units once you get used to doing it. You can use any head on the regular unit that you can on the kombi, with the exception of the curved edger attachment.

#17 ·
I have the FS90R. It isn't the kombi unit. It only takes a few moments longer to swap heads with the regular 90 than it does on the kombi units once you get used to doing it. You can use any head on the regular unit that you can on the kombi, with the exception of the curved edger attachment.
i didnt think it was the kombi unit, but wasnt sure. the dealer said i could put a blade attachment on it, but dont need that. so can you get a straight edger for it?

#18 ·
i didnt think it was the kombi unit, but wasnt sure. the dealer said i could put a blade attachment on it, but dont need that. so can you get a straight edger for it?
Yes. I just realized I don't have any pics of mine, but that's the way it's been all year. My FS90 looks just exactly like the FC95 with the edger attachment on it.

I do have a BR600M, and it is an excellent blower. However, I much prefer my Husky 570 BTS. To me, it is much more comfortable, and definitely has more performance. The 600 is much better on fuel though, and very light. They start easily too.

#19 ·
Yes. I just realized I don't have any pics of mine, but that's the way it's been all year. My FS90 looks just exactly like the FC95 with the edger attachment on it.

I do have a BR600M, and it is an excellent blower. However, I much prefer my Husky 570 BTS. To me, it is much more comfortable, and definitely has more performance. The 600 is much better on fuel though, and very light. They start easily too.
ok thanks for the info and help!

#20 ·
If you have the money and the need for other attachments go ahead and get the KM130. It is only .2 lbs heavier than the KM90 and as much power as you will ever need. Maybe pick up a couple of attachments as well and get a better deal from you dealer. The BR600M is one of the best blowers out there even though it doesn't have the most cfm.

#21 ·
If you have the money and the need for other attachments go ahead and get the KM130. It is only .2 lbs heavier than the KM90 and as much power as you will ever need. Maybe pick up a couple of attachments as well and get a better deal from you dealer. The BR600M is one of the best blowers out there even though it doesn't have the most cfm.
will the km 90 be fine for trimming and edging? Im definitly thinking about going back to the dealer to pick up a BR600 while its on sale for $549.00. The other big reason I would like to go with stihl is because the dealer is about 2mins away.

#23 ·
The 90 will be good for trimming and edging. But trust me the 130 is the way to go. I have both and had the 90 first then got the 130. The 90 will be alittle weak on edging a overgrown sidewalk or curb the first time but would be fine after the first go around. They are both good on fuel and like I said the 130 is only .2lbs more. When I pick up mine I don't know which one I have untill I fire them up. I have the trimmer, edger, blower, saw, and tiller for mine. The next will the the adjustable hedge trimmer and extensions. Hope this helps!

#24 ·
The km 90 works just as hard as the fs 90. Very easy to switch the attachments. However, if the km90 somehow breaks, make sure you're carrying your TB trimmer for back-up until you can have another stihl as your back-up.
The TB will definetly become a back-up as it still works very good! Its just 10" shorter than the FS 90 and a whopping 14lbs. Its getting to become a little hard on the body.

The 90 will be good for trimming and edging. But trust me the 130 is the way to go. I have both and had the 90 first then got the 130. The 90 will be alittle weak on edging a overgrown sidewalk or curb the first time but would be fine after the first go around. They are both good on fuel and like I said the 130 is only .2lbs more. When I pick up mine I don't know which one I have untill I fire them up. I have the trimmer, edger, blower, saw, and tiller for mine. The next will the the adjustable hedge trimmer and extensions. Hope this helps!
My TB does have an edger attachment and is very weak when it comes to an overgrown sidewalk, but i didnt think any stick edger was for cutting a new edge anyways. Thanks a bunch.

#25 ·
I've done some pretty harsh edging with the string attachment on my 90, and it wasn't lacking at all. With the stick edger attachment, it has more than enough for anything. I did an edging job with the edger attachment this past spring where I had to cut the grass and dirt back over a foot on average, and a foot and a half in some spots, and cut down 3-4" to reach the hard surface below. I expected it to bog some on that, but it cut everything with ease. I was really impressed.

If you can afford the much more expensive 130, there's no harm in going that route, but the 90 is all you really need for anything in the business outside of doing a ton of work where you have to cut down 3" tall thick grass and weeds. Even then, the blade attachment will cut it down with ease with the 90.

According to Stihl's site the FS90R weighs 11.7 lbs, and the FS130R weighs 12.3 lbs. That's over a half pound more, and you may, or may not feel it at the end of the day.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/professional-trimmers/

#26 ·
Thanks for the info. The .2lbs I heard from someone on here I never looked it up. Someone could have had a misprint on here and mint to put .5lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.