Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a stihl fs85xtreme straight trimmer and have been looking at the new models. the 110 caught my eye. what are your guy's thoughts on it, and whats the diff between the 110R and 110, is it just the bike handles? and how is that 4mix system working out?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Stay away from the RX models, If there is an X on the end it doesn't have the solid shaft, no atachments allowed.

I love all of my 4-mix equipment lots of torque and never had a seconds trouble with any of it. :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I been seeing post about the Stihl 4 mix but I'm still in the dark as to what kind of engine it is. Could someone fill me in on the 4 mix vs conventional Stihl products?

·
Registered
507 Posts
tacoma200 said:
I been seeing post about the Stihl 4 mix but I'm still in the dark as to what kind of engine it is. Could someone fill me in on the 4 mix vs conventional Stihl products?
The 4 mix uses 50:1 mix gas as do all stihl products. It is a 2 stroke motor with an intake and exhaust valve. So basically a 2 stroke with 4 stroke characteristics, to meet emission standards. I don't like the idea personally

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
lawnandplow42 said:
The 4 mix uses 50:1 mix gas as do all stihl products. It is a 2 stroke motor with an intake and exhaust valve. So basically a 2 stroke with 4 stroke characteristics, to meet emission standards. I don't like the idea personally
IT IS A TRUE 4-STROKE!!! Jees, why do people have such a difficult time understanding this??? It uses gas/oil mix to lubricate the needle bearings on the crankshaft. This eliminates the need to have a crankcase full of oil. :dizzy:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
So I'm just guessing they are heavier than a two stroke but lighter than a traditional 4 stroke? Is Stihl still going to make the reguar 2 strokes?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the KM110. It is a bit heavy, but I like it. It has lots of power, and is very fuel efficient. I have the trimmer and edger attachment for mine. I keep the edger attachment on it, and have the trimmer head for back up use.

They are a bit pricy, but I am very pleased thus far.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The FS 110 engine is superior so far. what applicatin you put it on is your own choice. The engine itself will power anything you put on it. If you buy a trimmer with an X on the end of it, don't plan on running an atachment. end of story.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got mine two weeks ago and absolutely love it. The way the dealer explained it to me is it is a 4-stroke that uses a gas/oil mix, and in the exhaust stage the burnt gas goes out but the oil stays in the lubricate the engine. Thats why it does not a big heavy oil pan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was never planning to run any attachments on it anyway, the only other thing i use on my 85 is a brushcutter blade, but other than that its strictly for trimming. i already have an edger and hedgtrimmer, dont need a pole saw so basically im set. but other than that, the concensus is that the 110 is a great model, thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
"I got mine two weeks ago and absolutely love it". "The way the dealer explained it to me is it is a 4-stroke that uses a gas/oil mix, and in the exhaust stage the burnt gas goes out but the oil stays in the lubricate the engine. Thats why it does not a big heavy oil pan".

Think about this one!

If the oil goes back wouldn't the crankcase eventually get full? I think the dealer was breathing the fumes for a while to come up with that story.

It is a 2 stroke engine that has valves and fires like a 4 stroke engine.

Oldtimer

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
Grassmechanic said:
IT IS A TRUE 4-STROKE!!! Jees, why do people have such a difficult time understanding this??? It uses gas/oil mix to lubricate the needle bearings on the crankshaft. This eliminates the need to have a crankcase full of oil. :dizzy:
What opens the valves, don't see that in the stihl site info? So this is a four stroke engine with a new method of lubricating the internal parts? How difficult is it to adjust the valves, I would guess those would need adjusting frequently?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It only takes a couple of minutes to adjust the valves. A feeler Gage comes with each unit and when it gets hard to start or doesn't seem to have enough power the valves need adjusted.

If it isn't a 2 stroke with valves that fires like a 4 stroke then it is a 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke fuel and requires crankcase pressure to force the fuel into the intake.

What ever it is, it works and works well. I will sell few hundred this year and no one will bring one back during my Stihl's policy of " 7 days, love it or bring it back".

Oldtimer

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What ever it is, it works and works well. I will sell few hundred this year and no one will bring one back during my Stihl's policy of " 7 days, love it or bring it back.

Didn't proof read the last sentence. It should read, "during Stihl's policy".

·
Registered
18 Posts
TriplePLandscaping said:
i currently have a stihl fs85xtreme straight trimmer and have been looking at the new models. the 110 caught my eye. what are your guy's thoughts on it, and whats the diff between the 110R and 110, is it just the bike handles? and how is that 4mix system working out?
We just bought a 110 four mix. To me, the engine isn't balanced for all day use. It gets heavy after all day use, if you do extensive trimming. awesome unit for thick stuff, though.the engine itself seems to be top heavy after using an 85. I quit using the fs85extreme. I use an echo, my back hurts less after 10-12hrs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A pound is not going to make that much of a difference...one could get a kawasaki with a ridiculous 96 decibels...or they could get an echo like I had before I bought the FS110R and have to constantly pick wound up weeds, grass, and other debris out of the the head area...the Stihl does not get anything caught up in the head as the space around where it spins is minute...to me, yes it is a little heavier, but it does come with a strap if one needs it for long jobs...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just picked up my fs110r today, and its first job was to help my fs85xtreme clear over 2500 sq. ft of dense tangled weeds with small saplings up to 1.5" diameters. with both trimmers equipped with the stihl brushknife the weeds didnt stand a chance took only about 20 minutes to drop everything and remember this stuff was around 6 foot tall. then it took a lil longer to finish off some of the remaining stems closer to the ground. the thing has amazing power not once did it bog down, and i like the sound it has too, quite different from a standard two stroke.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.