1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Major Tom, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Major Tom

Major Tom Guest

MY MACHINE IS 1 YEAR OLD AND IS ACTING UP.IT STARTS UP FINE BUT SOON AS I TAKE IT OFF CHOKE IT STOPS RUNNUNG.IF I TOGGLE IT BETWEEN CHOKE AND OPEN IT WILL RUN FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. ANY SUGGESTIANS.

2. Try taking off the muffler and clean the<br>exhaust port of carbon first.

3. OP
    OP
    Major Tom

Major Tom Guest

I just installed new gas filter and cleaned carb,also cleaned exhaust port.Stihl no luck.Anymore ideas.Thanks

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The carb adjustments are very touchie,its probeley out of adj.

5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

<p>

6. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I had prob. when my stihl was out of adj.<br>Take the muffler plate (exhaust opening) off & throw away that little screen in there. That will save a lot of trouble (unless you live in CA), then find the LI & HI srews (low idle & high idle)on side of carb. turn them both all the way in. unscrew each exactly 1 full turn & that should get you close. Start it & when it's warmed up, give it WOT & fine tune the high idle screw until it runs clearest. That should help. Also make sure you have fresh gas & a new plug :)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

7. DLC

DLC LawnSite Member

LIKE LAWNSMITH SAID TAKE THE SPARK ARRESTER OUT (THE LITTLE PIECE OF SCREEN

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Try checking that the bore doesn't have<br>any scoring on it.Pulled the spark arrestor<br>of my FS106 and it made no difference.<p>Karl<br>

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I yanked the screens on all my 2-cycle equipment this spring, what a difference it made, esp with the stihl trimmer. Much more power, no more bog when first started.<p>Bill

10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I had the same exact problem with mine. I tore the carb totally apart and cleaned it all out. There is a small screen in there that gets clogged up. Also check for varnished fuel around the needle and seat. Runs like a champ now. good luck