Stihl FS91R ignition module

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
I am looking for confirmation or refutation of my findings ... Maybe a Stihl service tech can quickly asses.

I have a Stihl FS91R. It is about three years old. I've had Stihl products for years (blower, trimmer, edger, hedge clipper), and the FS91R has been the best item. It has ran well, starts well, has enough power, larger fuel tank/efficient so fueling is minimized. I've been very pleased.

Saturday, it stopped, and I could not get it started. For as well as it has started over the three-year life, this pattern was very unusual. I did the usual - spark plug cleaning, air cleaner check, exhaust port and screen checked (and were clean). I used an inline tester on the ignition wire - nothing. I removed the plug and did a test on grounding the tip to block - nothing. With the help of another on this site, I concluded ignition module has gone bad.

I took the machine apart, and removed the module. 4180-1312 I started making calls, "do you have ...." I got confusing answers in some cases, but in the end, no dealer had the part in stock (called 6-7 dealers). In three cases, the system shows "not available." I did learn that a 1313 followed, and also learned the parts diagrams show 1320. But, nobody was able to help.

I stopped at a dealer today that I have worked with in the past. One made is good at Stihl parts. He is not at the shop on Mondays. He checked parts diagrams, 4180-1320. He confirmed it was not in stock, so proceeded to try to place an order. The order system showed "not available."

Whoa! What does this mean? He called two regional offices to try to learn more. He was told: "'Stihl has discontinued 1312 and 1313, and is showing 1320 as the replacement. But, it is 'not available' because it is not yet been released from manufacturing in Germany. No time is known for release and to be made available as a replacement module."

Those dealers who told me "not available" on the phone did not check further on why. Two of them, "Just bring it here and we will fix it for you."

In other words, there is no way to repair the FS91R with a replacement ignition module, by me or any dealer service department.

It appears Stihl knows 1312/1313 were not good units and stopped making them, BEFORE having a replacement ready to fill the void. And, the 1320 replacement remains under manufacture (design?) and has not yet left the site.

I find no knockoff modules for this number. I do find used ones on Ebay.

Can anybody confirm or deny my findings? Can anybody give me a suggestion on a next step?

Thanks.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Mayhaps " Jeff in AL " will pop in and offer up some help. The guy is an expert on everything Stihl.
Been kinda scarce around here, but did show up a while ago, so...

Jeff in AL

LawnSite Senior Member
I am looking for confirmation or refutation of my findings ... Maybe a Stihl service tech can quickly asses.

I have a Stihl FS91R. It is about three years old. I've had Stihl products for years (blower, trimmer, edger, hedge clipper), and the FS91R has been the best item. It has ran well, starts well, has enough power, larger fuel tank/efficient so fueling is minimized. I've been very pleased.

Saturday, it stopped, and I could not get it started. For as well as it has started over the three-year life, this pattern was very unusual. I did the usual - spark plug cleaning, air cleaner check, exhaust port and screen checked (and were clean). I used an inline tester on the ignition wire - nothing. I removed the plug and did a test on grounding the tip to block - nothing. With the help of another on this site, I concluded ignition module has gone bad.

I took the machine apart, and removed the module. 4180-1312 I started making calls, "do you have ...." I got confusing answers in some cases, but in the end, no dealer had the part in stock (called 6-7 dealers). In three cases, the system shows "not available." I did learn that a 1313 followed, and also learned the parts diagrams show 1320. But, nobody was able to help.

I stopped at a dealer today that I have worked with in the past. One made is good at Stihl parts. He is not at the shop on Mondays. He checked parts diagrams, 4180-1320. He confirmed it was not in stock, so proceeded to try to place an order. The order system showed "not available."

Whoa! What does this mean? He called two regional offices to try to learn more. He was told: "'Stihl has discontinued 1312 and 1313, and is showing 1320 as the replacement. But, it is 'not available' because it is not yet been released from manufacturing in Germany. No time is known for release and to be made available as a replacement module."

Those dealers who told me "not available" on the phone did not check further on why. Two of them, "Just bring it here and we will fix it for you."

In other words, there is no way to repair the FS91R with a replacement ignition module, by me or any dealer service department.

It appears Stihl knows 1312/1313 were not good units and stopped making them, BEFORE having a replacement ready to fill the void. And, the 1320 replacement remains under manufacture (design?) and has not yet left the site.

I find no knockoff modules for this number. I do find used ones on Ebay.

Can anybody confirm or deny my findings? Can anybody give me a suggestion on a next step?

Thanks.
About 80% of the time the Part Number on a Stihl part is not the actual Part Number, such as in this case. The actual Part Number is usually one or two digits ahead.

The original Part Number on the coil, 4180/1312, is Stihls production number. The actual Part Number for that coil is 4180 400 1313.

The currently available 4180 400 1313 coil is in the process of changing to 4180 400 1320.

I stock the 4180 400 1313 coil (as does my distributor) and do not show the change in my price file to the 4180 400 1320, nor does my distributor, at this time.
However, in the Stihl parts lookup it does show that the 4180 400 1313 is NLA (from the factory) and to use the 4180 400 1320.

This would not be the first time Stihl has got the cart before the horse!

They have been chasing an issue on this new generation unit and I believe have changed the timing in the new 4180 400 1320 coil to try and resolve it. Time will tell if it does!

I have only replaced 2 of the 4180 400 1313 coils. One nearly 2 years ago that had a rev-limiter issue and one about a month ago that would not ground out internally and kill the fire.

The only 2 things I can say for you to check is make sure the spring clip in the plug boot has not pulled out of the plug wire when removing the boot. The other is to disconnect both kill leads from the coil and check for spark again.

OP
R

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow, what a wealth of info here. Thank you!

Several things, ... Part numbers not being actual part numbers, ... I heard that from a couple of dealers when asking about this module. I think you are saying that Stihl has a part number for production machines, as coming from manufacturing, but then uses a variation on that number for replacement parts (e.g. 1312 [production] to 1313 [replacement part]). That explains the 80% comment.

The explanation regarding migrating to 1320 makes sense, when coupled with the "cart ... horse" perspective.

Is it possible that 1320s are installed in new units coming out of manufacture, but the supply of 1320s is insufficient to stock the parts channel? What do you think is in the units on the showroom floor?

You have 1313 available. I now wonder if my local dealer has 1313 available as well. In hindsight, he found 1320 on the diagram, then when to the order system and learned "not available." That is where the conversation ended, and he turned to the phone for Stihl help regarding 1320. I am doubting he looked for a 1313. I think I will press him tomorrow morning, "do you have a 1313 in stock, or access to a 1313?"

In doing an online search, I found a couple of places that have 1313.
the comment was included, "call to order." I wonder if they will only sell across the counter, or are willing to send? This will be made known during a phone call. I do know some online shops have Stihl parts on their list, but "store pickup only" next to the price. I thought Stihl policy is "no shipping."

You made the comment, "only replaced 2..." I don't know if this speaks of a faulty part and two is too many, or if this means the history speaks well of the trimmer. Sorry, ... may sound like a dumb question, but the "only" could imply the track record is considered good. Is the FS91R a good seller, or down at the bottom of popularity? I am uncertain what other contractors use around here - I think Echo is the most popular. One dealer that sells lots of Toros, Wright, and Ferris mowers carries Echo products. Echo may get swept up in the volume of mower transactions.

I said in the earlier post that I am very well satisfied with this unit. If it was a problem piece, I would discard it in a moment and buy something new. But, it has worked so well for me, I would like to get it repaired.

My plan is to: (1) press the local dealer(s) on the availability of a 1313, or (2) investigate the online offerings for a 1313.

Thanks again. Helpful stuff!

Jeff in AL

LawnSite Senior Member
4180 400 1320 Coil.JPG DOM.JPG
Wow, what a wealth of info here. Thank you!

Several things, ... Part numbers not being actual part numbers, ... I heard that from a couple of dealers when asking about this module. I think you are saying that Stihl has a part number for production machines, as coming from manufacturing, but then uses a variation on that number for replacement parts (e.g. 1312 [production] to 1313 [replacement part]). That explains the 80% comment.

The explanation regarding migrating to 1320 makes sense, when coupled with the "cart ... horse" perspective.

Is it possible that 1320s are installed in new units coming out of manufacture, but the supply of 1320s is insufficient to stock the parts channel? What do you think is in the units on the showroom floor?

You have 1313 available. I now wonder if my local dealer has 1313 available as well. In hindsight, he found 1320 on the diagram, then when to the order system and learned "not available." That is where the conversation ended, and he turned to the phone for Stihl help regarding 1320. I am doubting he looked for a 1313. I think I will press him tomorrow morning, "do you have a 1313 in stock, or access to a 1313?"

In doing an online search, I found a couple of places that have 1313.
the comment was included, "call to order." I wonder if they will only sell across the counter, or are willing to send? This will be made known during a phone call. I do know some online shops have Stihl parts on their list, but "store pickup only" next to the price. I thought Stihl policy is "no shipping."

You made the comment, "only replaced 2..." I don't know if this speaks of a faulty part and two is too many, or if this means the history speaks well of the trimmer. Sorry, ... may sound like a dumb question, but the "only" could imply the track record is considered good. Is the FS91R a good seller, or down at the bottom of popularity? I am uncertain what other contractors use around here - I think Echo is the most popular. One dealer that sells lots of Toros, Wright, and Ferris mowers carries Echo products. Echo may get swept up in the volume of mower transactions.

I said in the earlier post that I am very well satisfied with this unit. If it was a problem piece, I would discard it in a moment and buy something new. But, it has worked so well for me, I would like to get it repaired.

My plan is to: (1) press the local dealer(s) on the availability of a 1313, or (2) investigate the online offerings for a 1313.

Thanks again. Helpful stuff!
True, part numbers stamped on Stihl parts are not always the true replacement part part number.

Logically thinking, then new "1320" part number would have been 1314 or 1315, but no... No idea as to how or why they do what they do.

Funny you asked... I took a new stock FS91R, that came in with a large order last week, and checked the coil on it. It does indeed have the new coil but is stamped 1321. Go figure!
The DOM on this unit is 4/2019. So, they started using the new coil in/prior to 4/2019. (See pictures)

You should have no problem getting the 1313 coil from any dealer. I called my distributor for the hell of it and they have 38 in stock and 80 on order.
So while the 1320/1 coil is now being used in production it is not available to order until the factory depletes their parts side of the 1313 coil. My distributor also has no official word from Stihl on the 1320 coil yet, but when that happens they will add the 1320 to their system and know what the change(s) were from the 1313.

Any dealer can sell Stihl PARTS online and ship. However they cannot ship whole good units.

Stihl is the biggest thing sold in my area. With Husqvarna I would say being a distant second.
I have sold 23 FS91R's year to date. With last years sales in the 30 something range. So couple those numbers with the sister unit (FS111, 131, KM units and so on) sales and only having 2 failures since the new version came out is not bad at all. Especially when compared to the coil issues though the years on the FS90/sister units. Couldn't keep those coils in stock at times!

Hopefully you'll find a dealer that has the 1313 in stock, but if not there should be no reason why they can't order one for you.

OP
R

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
Again, a full plate of good material. Thank you! I hope this thread is useful to others, including those having needs other than ignition modules.

I'm not sure whether to be upset, or laugh, at you finding a 1321 in a new unit. That finding refutes what I was told - "not yet left manufacturing." Your explanation about release delay until 1313 parts are gone makes perfect sense. Knowing a 1321 is in the mix, however, leaves an open question if it provides better performance than a 1313. Undoubtedly, a 1313 will work, but presumably a 1321 is a better part.

Thanks for the clarification on the order/ship on Stihl parts.

I have talked to a dealer and have a new 1313 on its way.

At this point, I am more than a little upset that the 1313 was not in the discussion on Monday morning. When he saw 1320, we went off on the tangent of why it was "unavailable" in the order system. He did not return to the problem of me having a machine down, and how he could get a part to make a repair. In hindsight, I should have pressed the issue further. My thought "I will just get it someplace else," without all the background I now know. He did mumble something about 1313, but I do not know how the display reads on these matters.

Thanks for the insight on units sold. I was beginning to think I had a rare trimmer, that few of us decided to buy. If I recall rightly, my choice was FS91 or FS94, with the deciding factor, solid shaft, or not. I knew I would use it to drive a hedge trimmer attachment, and wanted the solid shaft. I think the 94 is lighter (probably similar to the 85 machines of long ago). The primary con on the 91 is weight. The 91 has a large fuel tank, and is efficient, so a full tank carries me a long way in how I use the trimmer.

The matter is now in the hands of the order to be filled, shipped, and received.

Again, thanks for all this. It has been far more than I thought I needed to know. But, hopefully the logistics have been navigated, and soon I will get the new module installed, and the trimmer working again.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Stihl seems to have coil issues. I have a hedge trimmer and saw taken out of service to no spark. They want $133.00 for a HS60AV coil.......Have not checked the saw pricing. These were occasional use tools for me WTF. The coil price is probably half the price of the H. trimmer when new?

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Stihl seems to have coil issues. I have a hedge trimmer and saw taken out of service to no spark. They want $133.00 for a HS60AV coil.......Have not checked the saw pricing. These were occasional use tools for me WTF. The coil price is probably half the price of the H. trimmer when new?
Fleabay has em, couple OEM and aftermarket, waaay cheaper.
# 4114 400 1305