Stihl Handhelds

SCAPELIFE

LawnSite Member
Wondering what happening to all my stihl handhelds seems like the last couple of days one has been dying in the field after another two hedge trimmers and one weedeater all of them were running fine then out of nowhere they died and now seems like the engines are dead when you pull the pull cord it doesnt catch and spins freely i'm just wondering what made them all die back to back
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
S

SCAPELIFE

LawnSite Member
Thanks Ridin that ran thru my mind also i also think the guys didnt mix the 2 cycle strong enough the weedeater was making a loud clicking/clunking noise from the engine housing near the throttle before it died
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I was coming back to mention that you should make sure there is a proper amount oil mixed into the fuel, if any at all, but I see you have thought of that. I've seen it happen before where someone forgot to add the oil and wondered why their two stroke stuff was seizing up on them.

It should be easy enough to tell unless you're using a clearer oil like HP Ultra. That's another reason I love Amsoil Saber- you can quickly tell if there's oil in the fuel from the color.

If there's oil for sure, then I'd suspect either really bad gas, or someone of putting sugar in the fuel.

ScottHypsie

LawnSite Member
If you live in California the ethanol eats the diaphragms. This happened to me and it wasnt covered in the warranty. I would see how much ethanol is in your fuel.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Every state has ethanol in the fuel and yes, it screws stuff up, but not all at once like that. Unless........ you got fuel with 15% ethanol like some are starting to sell now that it is legal in most places. the Stihl Tech rep told us this year to make darn sure we NEVER run 15% ethanol. He said it will totally destroy hand helds in no time.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
Every state has ethanol in the fuel and yes, it screws stuff up, but not all at once like that. Unless........ you got fuel with 15% ethanol like some are starting to sell now that it is legal in most places. the Stihl Tech rep told us this year to make darn sure we NEVER run 15% ethanol. He said it will totally destroy hand helds in no time.

I've been using that for ... 5 years now?

I don't believe all the ethanol crap lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I've been using that for ... 5 years now?

I don't believe all the ethanol crap lol
Posted via Mobile Device

15% ethanol? That is just now coming to the market, at least here. 10% has been around for a very long time though.

I believe some of the ethanol hype. I have seen it's negative affects firsthand unfortunately.

slowleak1

LawnSite Senior Member
15% doesnt mean it is 15% ethanol 85% gas. It means it MAY contain up to 15% ethanol.

Now, e85 is 15/85.

15% is no worse than 10% as far as short term use. If it sits for a couple weeks, then yes, it will do damage, just like 10% will. The ethanol isnt what does the majority of the damage, its the effects of it breaking down and the higher water contents of that process. If you burn 10 gallons a day and are always topping off, then I wouldnt even hesitate to run it. For someone who fills up once a week, then I would start to think twice.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
15% doesnt mean it is 15% ethanol 85% gas. It means it MAY contain up to 15% ethanol.

Now, e85 is 15/85.

15% is no worse than 10% as far as short term use. If it sits for a couple weeks, then yes, it will do damage, just like 10% will. The ethanol isnt what does the majority of the damage, its the effects of it breaking down and the higher water contents of that process. If you burn 10 gallons a day and are always topping off, then I wouldnt even hesitate to run it. For someone who fills up once a week, then I would start to think twice.

That may be true in a mower, but not for hand held equipment. 15% ethanol will ruin them quickly. The Stihl tech rep we talked to was not the only one who was saying it either.

As for the 15% ethanol, that's correct... it may contain up to 15%, but if it is allowed by law, then you can bet your arse the oil company that blended and supplied the fuel did it

E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gas, not the other way around..

Top Forums