1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl HL100 Housing Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tsh1773, Jun 3, 2009.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

In the first picture you see the old housing that is cracked on the left. On the right is the new housing. I cannot figure out a way to get the barrings out of the old one. It looks like in the second pic there is a snap ring but it's about 2 inches down in there. Is there a tool out there that can press this thing out? The housing cost $45 and I don't want to pay the repair shop to get this out unless I have to.

P6030001.JPG

P6030003.JPG

P6030004.JPG

2. tsh1773

Bump Bump

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Can't you just put a 3/8 extension & if thats to small perhaps adding a small
    socket on the end of it,and tap it out?

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

..guess not..

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

You could split or cut/grind (with a cut off grinder) the old housing and take the parts out that way, but you will still need a way to put the snap ring in, you don't want those bearing floating around in there. Or take the new housing back and get a complete gear head.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Had one similar on an Echo and I got it out with a lot of trouble. But it was apparent that putting it in the other one was going to be a problem. Took it in to the shop and it was difficutl to drive those bearing in without the possibilty of cracking something. Handed the shop guy $20 for his trouble he was happy and so was I.

7. tsh1773

I took it to the dealer. He told me they took the set screw out and it fell apart which is not true b/c I had already done that and the set screw is laying at home on the table. Anyway they fixed it for $15. I think they cracked it open. Oh well it's fixed.