Lawn Care Forum banner

STIHL KM110 gas cap

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Southernlandscape343 
#1 ·
I have a KM110 and it seems like every time I fuel it the gas cap falls out while I'm working and I end up with gas down my shirt. I line the arrows up like it says to, twist it, and then flip the little tab down. I've never had this issue with any of my STIHL chainsaws that use the same style cap, but on my FS80, and my two KM110s it always happens to me.

Has anyone else had this problem or is there something I'm messing up here? It seems like after it falls out and I get covered in gas it stays on. Could it be that if I filled it a little less it wouldn't do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
have not had this problem with mine but only through about 3 tanks of fuel on it, probably get drenched when I use it this afternoon lol, I would try not filling it completely full first and if that didnt work itd be a trip to the dealer with 2 full tanks for them to feel free to dump anywhere in the showroom, or fix the problem of course.

#4 ·
I don't exactly want to irritate my dealer. He's done me a lot of favors over the year. Today when I filled the KM110 to do my yard the cap popped off and I noticed it rattling around before I got any fuel on me. When I put it back on it stayed just fine. I think the problem might be something within the tank because they use the exact same caps on their chainsaws and I have 3 STIHL saws. I've got 2 MS210s and an MS460 and they have the exact came cap, but the tanks are different.

And as to why they switched I think it was so they could have one style cap that they had to manufacture.

#10 ·
Well everyone I think I've figured these gas caps out. They just don't like to go on right the first time.

Now when I put the cap on I put it in twist it and flip the thing down. Then I pull up on the edges of it and it pops out. Then I set it back and put it in again and it stays.

Just thought I'd revive this thread since I've never gotten drenched with mix since I started doing this.

#14 ·
Simple fix

Yeah, this happens to me sometimes.

Happens when the cap doesn't twist all the way being removed.

I always check that the cap is all the way "unscrewed" when it's off, if it's not twisted all the way to the off position (when it's physically off the gas tank) it won't reseal. Just give it a twist/tug when you take it off to make sure it untwisted all the way.

Minor inconvenience once you get the feel for it, otherwise the benefits of the trimmer outweigh the drawback. Personally, I've never understood what this overengineered cap is supposed to do for you.

#17 ·
my fs110r cap works fine, but the caps on the BR600 and KM110 give me the problems described. I just always make sure that it is sealed before I pick it up to work. I agree with Richard Martin, this SHOULD be recaled however I don't know how nit could be fixed without replacing the entire tank and I don't foresee Stihl doing that anytime soon.

#18 ·
my fs110r cap works fine, but the caps on the BR600 and KM110 give me the problems described. I just always make sure that it is sealed before I pick it up to work. I agree with Richard Martin, this SHOULD be recaled however I don't know how nit could be fixed without replacing the entire tank and I don't foresee Stihl doing that anytime soon.
When I put my cap on, I swore it sealed and it wasn't -I was very surprised.

#19 ·
Does anyone from Stihl read any of this?

I HATE THOSE STUPID GAS CAPS.
Just for this purpose I have created a group on Face Book
all about Stihl's new gas cap design. Hopefully we will get a good number of people to join. Simply search "Stihl's new gas cap design" on facebook and you should see it. If not This link should also work.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146581728695341

Hope to see you all there. Joining a group based on a companies problem will certainly bring some attention to the company. Especially once the group gets more members. I will then send Stihl the link to the group, so they can see just for them selves how many unhappy Stihl owners there are out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.