1. Ask the Expert: Live Event with Koch - What's In The Bag?: March 22, 2018
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: March 22, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Kombi System Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Michael Ray, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lot of questions and read various things about the Kombi system before I got mine and before I started. Here is my two cents on the system. For an established business it doesn't make much sense. I'm sure someone in that situation has the capital to buy dedicated equipment that would remove the time of switching attachments.

For someone starting out, great system to save a few bucks and be able to broaden the services that you offer. You can save a few hundred dollars on just about every service you would add which can be ideal for a new biz. However, the system is heavy and awkward compared to dedicated equipment for obvious reasons. I have most of the attachments now but bought a dedicated FS94 trimmer to lighten the load. The difference is HUGE. I've also been using the hedge trimmer attachment quite a bit but I can't wait to get a dedicated trimmer because this thing distributes the weight poorly. Either way, I'm glad I started with it and it will be a sturdy backup for any dedicated units I buy in the future but I will definitely be buying dedicated units from here on out to make the job more efficient now that I have the capital to do so.
    That Guy Gary likes this.
  2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

I just woke up, first time I read the title I saw "Stihl kombi system defensive thread."

In my opinion it's a poor weapon, regardless of which attachment you use.

We have 4 maintenance crews now and a full time enhancements crew that have dedicated trimmers, stick edgers, hedge trimmers. We still keep a KM130 on hand for two tools that aren't used very frequently, the extension hedge trimmer and pole chainsaw. I'd like to try the bed edger attachment as well.
  3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go again.

Stihl FS-94R: 10.1 lbs
    Stihl KM-94R: 8.8 lbs + FS-KM Line head trimmer: 2.6 lbs = 11.4 lbs.

The additional weight is comparable to the additional weight from a full tank of fuel. Is that difference really HUGE? And aside from the weight, what exactly is the difference that makes it "awkward"? The clamp certainly doesn't get in the way.

FYI, the next size up machine, FS-111R is 12.1 lbs.
    gfwjr2 likes this.
  4. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Well thank you for your great contribution rlitman. I have the KM131R so there is a significant difference. Thank you for your example of the KM-94 ,captain obvious.
  5. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 111. I use it mainly as my edger, but it also doubles as my hedge trimmer. I have a trimmer for it as a backup or for really over grown stuff. I like it especially for the things that don't get run a lot. I am still small though. It takes less than a minute to change heads, it could be faster than starting a cold motor on another tool.
  6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

You're comparing apples and bananas. So, let's do a direct comparison again:

Here we go again.

Stihl FS-94R: 10.1 lbs
    Stihl KM-94R: 8.8 lbs + FS-KM Line head trimmer: 2.6 lbs = 11.4 lbs.
    difference: 21 ozs
    Fuel capacity for above machines: 14 oz by weight

Stihl FS-131R: 12.1 lbs
    Stihl KM-131R: 9.7 lbs + FS-KM Line head trimmer: 2.6 lbs = 12.3 lbs
    difference: 3 oz
    Fuel capacity for above machines: 19 oz by weight

So, actually, if you were to compare a Kombi with a dedicated machine in the 131 class, the difference in weight is basically just a rounding error.

But go ahead and call me names. That's useful.
    Or are you saying your KM-131R is heavy, now that you've bought an FS-94R? Because I think anyone could have told you that.
    gfwjr2 likes this.
  7. Grass Bass

Grass Bass LawnSite Member

My KM-130 is my edger but I use the pole saw and bed edger for jobs when needed. Great unit for those extra services. Im solo though. If running crews dedicated units all day. I do not and would not use it as a main trimmer too heavy vs. all the other options out there