Stihl MS261C - 3 Month Review

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
What is it about the 260/261 that makes it a "Pro" saw?

What makes it a better saw than < blah... blah... blah... >

I really appreciate everyone's responses to that question... Interesting stuff. (I just really like, and enjoy using chainsaws...)

Semi Off Topic - One of my first jobs after high school was working service at an eXmark, Stihl, etc.. dealer.

My 2-stroke knowledge was so-so at best, and I didn't stay there long before leaving to start my machining career.

I came to really appreciate how well Stihl products are engineered. It seemed like an engineering marvel at how well thought out their products were. Amazing how much service/repair work you could do with a bar-wrench, a T27 torx driver, flat screwdriver, 8mm socket, and for the really rare occasion, needle nose pliers or a custom-fashioned coat-hanger (for retrieving & changing fuel filters...)

I guess that's where I really came to love Stihl products.

My little MS171 chainsaw & FS80r trimmer are still excellent tools, 17 years later. Obviously I'm not felling the California redwoods with my MS170, but for less than $200, it cuts way better, and has lasted far longer than it ever should have. I am still impressed with it every time I use it. The string-trimmer still runs like a champ, and probably gets 6-10 hours of use a week even still...

If I ever picked up enough tree work to even get close to justifying a new saw- I've coveted the MS460/461/462 with the heated handles for years now. (I don't know if they still make the heated handles or not...)

I guess I'll have to add a 261 to that list too... :)

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I really appreciate everyone's responses to that question... Interesting stuff. (I just really like, and enjoy using chainsaws...)

Semi Off Topic - One of my first jobs after high school was working service at an eXmark, Stihl, etc.. dealer.

My 2-stroke knowledge was so-so at best, and I didn't stay there long before leaving to start my machining career.

I came to really appreciate how well Stihl products are engineered. It seemed like an engineering marvel at how well thought out their products were. Amazing how much service/repair work you could do with a bar-wrench, a T27 torx driver, flat screwdriver, 8mm socket, and for the really rare occasion, needle nose pliers or a custom-fashioned coat-hanger (for retrieving & changing fuel filters...)

I guess that's where I really came to love Stihl products.

My little MS171 chainsaw & FS80r trimmer are still excellent tools, 17 years later. Obviously I'm not felling the California redwoods with my MS170, but for less than $200, it cuts way better, and has lasted far longer than it ever should have. I am still impressed with it every time I use it. The string-trimmer still runs like a champ, and probably gets 6-10 hours of use a week even still...

If I ever picked up enough tree work to even get close to justifying a new saw- I've coveted the MS460/461/462 with the heated handles for years now. (I don't know if they still make the heated handles or not...)

I guess I'll have to add a 261 to that list too... :)
Ever looked at their latest edition the 500i ? Its supposed to be the cats miaow. First fuel injected saw on the market. Ive seen it head to head with the 462 and it smokes it lol

OP
stihlfan05

stihlfan05

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ever looked at their latest edition the 500i ? Its supposed to be the cats miaow. First fuel injected saw on the market. Ive seen it head to head with the 462 and it smokes it lol
I ran one for a little bit. Runs 28” and longer bars way better than the 462. Still wound up buying the 462 because my dealer had it for $1100 vs $1450 for the 500i

Top Forums