Stihl or Echo como kits

gob71

LawnSite Member
I am looking to buy a new string trimmer this year. The only reason I want one of these is I have learned my lesson in the past, if you pay good money you get good quality with less headaches. This will be used at my house only. Its not a whole lot of trimming, maybe 30-45 mins plus some light blowing and edging with trimmer. I plan to use the trimmer line as the edger. Here are the ones I was looking at. Price is not as important as quality to me. It cost what it cost. I do know I don't need the biggest and most powerful they offer. I want something that is easy to start( I know how to maintain with good gas,etc). This thing will be used 1 time a week for maybe 1 hour at the most, not even than long usually...Both dealers in town are great, both sell echo and stihl. Neither will really give one a much better rating than the other, or explain why....they cost what they cost....i don't mind spending more for better, i just want to know why its better other than just its bigger with more power.

Echo 225 PAS system combo....comes with trimmer and blower, $300- best value
Stihl 56 Kombi- slightly more but have heard its not a commerical unit.

Main issue with these 2 and I have heard the stihl is no a commerical engine.....I have heard the Echo is not as well but, also been told it was, so I don't know.

Echo 230 or 265 head or the Stihl 90 or 110....

I do know the stihl blower head seems to blow better than the echo on paper...no idea about the trimmer head, but I do like the speed feed on echo...

Whats yalls thoughts

PLS-Tx

LawnSite Silver Member
I would go with Stihl 90 or 110. Either would hold up better than the smaller unit you mentioned, 90 should be more than enough.

We have used both Stihl and Echo over the years. All we run now is Stihl and we are very happy with them.

I will not be buying anymore Echo equipment, they did not hold up well for us.

We use the Speed Feed head on all of our Stihl trimmers and they work great. Been using them for years.

Here is a link to the head we use, I think you will like it much better than the Echo head.

http://www.speedfeedhead.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-55-265-Speed-Trimmer-Straight/dp/B001SCIE3Y

OP
G

gob71

LawnSite Member
I would go with Stihl 90 or 110. Either would hold up better than the smaller unit you mentioned, 90 should be more than enough.

We have used both Stihl and Echo over the years. All we run now is Stihl and we are very happy with them.

I will not be buying anymore Echo equipment, they did not hold up well for us.

We use the Speed Feed head on all of our Stihl trimmers and they work great. Been using them for years.

Here is a link to the head we use, I think you will like it much better than the Echo head.

http://www.speedfeedhead.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-55-265-Speed-Trimmer-Straight/dp/B001SCIE3Y
thankyou for the reply....it looks like that is the exact same one on the echo, both said speed feed on it and worked the same....one dealer said they could be retrofitted to the stihl, the other was not sure....glad to see if will work.

dgfitz

LawnSite Member
The Stihl blower for the combo units is better. I prefer Stihl but the
Echo units are also good and I have an old Echo that has served me
faithfully. The Km90r will have plenty of power for you and is a very
nice unit.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I realize you're a homeowner, but I'll still recommend individual dedicated units for trimming/edging & blower/sweeping duties respectively.

They will both do their 'respective jobs' FAR better - than switching out parts/heads to accomplish the same goals.

If you have a LOT of leaves to contend with in the Fall, then a competent backpack blower is a work of art compared to a handheld unit...the sheer power is mind~boggling and will save you a ton of time.

jkingrph

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an older Stihl FS85t, probably 7-9 years old.

My dealer convinced me to purchase it as a string trimmer so I would have the trimmer head which has been an ok idea. I did get an edger, pole saw attachment and the articulated hedge trimmer attachment. Later I picked up one of the extra, light weight extensions which has been handy.

I do not know exactly which newer model it would compare to, but has had ample power and has had plenty of use. I do have two other string trimmers, a middle grade bicycle handle model, and a little lightweight John Deer model which gets the most use. All the string trimmer heads have been changed out for the speedfeed model mentioned earlier.

For non commercial use, I see nothing wrong with the Kombi units, It beats having to purchase a lot of powerheads which will not get much use.

OP
G

gob71

LawnSite Member
I realize you're a homeowner, but I'll still recommend individual dedicated units for trimming/edging & blower/sweeping duties respectively.

They will both do their 'respective jobs' FAR better - than switching out parts/heads to accomplish the same goals.

If you have a LOT of leaves to contend with in the Fall, then a competent backpack blower is a work of art compared to a handheld unit...the sheer power is mind~boggling and will save you a ton of time.
I don't have many leaves, very few...the only blowing I do is the driveway,patio after mowing....what little trimming and edging I do would not make any sense to own different machines for each. It takes less than an hr to to do all my trimming/edging/blowing.....3 machines for what little I do is not an option.

MarkintheGarden

LawnSite Bronze Member
Stihl makes good equipment.
I do not know much about echo except that I have heard a few good reviews. With only a few exceptions, stihl is often well rated for all their products.

dieseltech

LawnSite Senior Member
I run all echo and i never have any trouble with them. I run a pas 225, pas 266, pb500, pb770, cs 310 and cs 400...good results with all of them. Speed feed heads work great and also i have edger, pruner and hedge attachments. They all do great work and price is very reasonable.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic

Do you own a Kombi unit?

Whether its a solid shaft that does not break in half, or a Kombi unit, a Kombii unit in a trimmer or edger form works no differently.

Please explain how dedicated is FAR better...we have dedicated, but we also have a few Kombis...we use each equally whether it's trimming or edging. We also have the pole saw...without a Kimbi you are stuck with the length, I can add an extension.

3 out of our 5 hand helds are Kombis...we love em.
Posted via Mobile Device