• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Stihl problems

2rkae

LawnSite Member
I had a older fs 76 linetrimmer it got to where you constantly had to mess with the choke to keep it running.Seemed to run best at about half closed. Was not carboned up,got rid of it. I got a hand held leaf blower fs 55 i think two years old now it is doing the same thing the choke has to be half closed for it to run then it is at about 80% .Nothing looks carboned up.I took it almost all apart.My echo stuff runs ok.Not bashing stihl it just seems strange that both stihl products did the same thing.I would like to no what is wrong and fix it? Our local dealer rebuilt carb(?) on fs 76 did not help at all, got mad gave it away.now leafblower same thing.I use stihl oil .No problems with husky chainsaw neither.

Merkava_4

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you have to keep the choke on half way for it to run, it's starving for fuel -- and that applies to all small engines that use carburetors. The ideal fuel mixture is somewhere between 12:1 and 14:1 depending on the air density. Carburetors are very sensitive to fuel contamination.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Have you checked the muffler screen? This is the way a Stihl acts when the screen is clogged. Look at the muffler on the front of the blower. You'll see a 15MM nut. Get a socket and remove the nut. Remember, lefty loosey, righty tighty. The nut may be tight. When you remove the nut the whole muffler screen assembly will come out. Clean up the screen and reinstall it. You should make cleaning the screen part of your year end maintenance.

OP

2rkae

LawnSite Member
That was the first thing I did . It was not dirty at all.I still cleaned evertything though. It just odd that it is my stihl products.Echo and husky stuff runs good.

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
you mean bg55? thats a handheld blower..the fs55 is a trimmer.. anyhoo the bg55 has 3 carb adjust screws(( 2 next to the handle one threw the hole in the handle.. are they all set right?? my books are at the shop so i couldn't even tell you what it should be at.. should be able to putt it up off the site though

milo

LawnSite Bronze Member
got to be the carb, if your getting them rebuilt make sure they take it apart and soak it in parts cleaner for like 3 plus days and then clean it out right and also make sure person rebuilding it knows what they are doing. id say 80 to 90% of people doing carbs dont know what they are doing and just swap out old parts and put on new parts and they never work right, your best bet is to just buy a new carb