1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl seems to be taking over Texas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GlynnC, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Due to family health issues (another story), I've been in the Houston and San Antonio areas of Texas for most of the last 6 months. For several years, I've noticed that Echo seemed to rule the handheld business, with Stihls being used by citiy/county crews. This time, I've seen very few Echos, a few Shindaiwas, but mostly Stihls. I haven't talked to any of the crews to ask about the reason for the brand change--probably couldn't speak the right language.

Since I don't have any brand loyalties (other than my Kaw KGT27A trimmer), this is just an observation, no hidden messages intended.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think it goes by area, but a lot of city, county, state, ect..... run Stihl because of the deals they will make on large purchases. I know that since John Deere started carrying Stihls a lot more gov type workers are using them because JD leases the mowers with service and the handhelds for a fixed price for I think 3 years.

I prefer Maruyama and Husqvarna trimmers and Echo and Redmax blowers.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Echo don't compet in state and local bids so yes stihl rules.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's that ongoing gas cap conspiracy, now it's all over your state too, RUN forest RUN!

5. Chevy z71

Chevy z71 LawnSite Fanatic

The county uses stihl here to and use scag wild cats. Most lco people i see use stihl and redmax.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the only place sthil rules is the volume of them in the repair shop