Stihl Top Heavy

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Anyone know why all the Stihl straight shaft equipment is top heavy? Due to the motor unit being weighted to the top they always roll onto their top in transport and fight you to roll upside down when carrying one handed by the shaft.

I don't presume Stihl does anything on accident. So what's the advantage of these rolling over always?

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
i started trimming 100 accounts per week 20 years ago with a big john deere green machine , had a great zenowa engine and a huge red head on it . ide say it weighed 15lbs easily . then like 15 years ago our dealership salesman handed me a redmac bcz223 21cc trimmer and i near laughed at him when he said i could run our route with it because it was so light in comparison i figured it no way had the power . but it did and was best trimmer ive ever run , then they messed them up stratocharging em . still good but not as good . so anyway ive got used to the balance and grip of redmax since then and when i run a stihl im always thinking this engine weights bout 20 lbs and this thing is unbalanced as heck . ive tried bout 4 them and between the heavy engine with square cover that makes it difficult to rest against arm when running one handed . and the skinny loop handle which doint provide good grip i cant run em . you cant get a good grip on them and fling them around quickly / precisely because theyre out of balance . i love my stihl chain saw but dont like their trimmers . mean while redmax has balance / weight / grip zero'ed right in , well before husqvarna bought them so i dont know how they are now because we loaded up on a few old redmax b4 husky took over . stihl gotta change the squared off blocky engine housing and loop handle , just admit redmax better design and copy it

OP
Z

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
i started trimming 100 accounts per week 20 years ago with a big john deere green machine , had a great zenowa engine and a huge red head on it . ide say it weighed 15lbs easily . then like 15 years ago our dealership salesman handed me a redmac bcz223 21cc trimmer and i near laughed at him when he said i could run our route with it because it was so light in comparison i figured it no way had the power . but it did and was best trimmer ive ever run , then they messed them up stratocharging em . still good but not as good . so anyway ive got used to the balance and grip of redmax since then and when i run a stihl im always thinking this engine weights bout 20 lbs and this thing is unbalanced as heck . ive tried bout 4 them and between the heavy engine with square cover that makes it difficult to rest against arm when running one handed . and the skinny loop handle which doint provide good grip i cant run em . you cant get a good grip on them and fling them around quickly / precisely because theyre out of balance . i love my stihl chain saw but dont like their trimmers . mean while redmax has balance / weight / grip zero'ed right in , well before husqvarna bought them so i dont know how they are now because we loaded up on a few old redmax b4 husky took over . stihl gotta change the squared off blocky engine housing and loop handle , just admit redmax better design and copy it
I may try red max next. Think I'm ready for a change.

OP
Z

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think they're more balanced when the tank is full.
Yeah sure the 4.23 oz of fuel does bring some weight to the bottom. Really that's another beef I have with Stihl, the fuel tanks are so very small on everything but the backpack blowers.
So why can't that fuel tank be on the top and the heavy cylinder head on the bottom.

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
I may try red max next. Think I'm ready for a change.
ive been wondering how they are since husqv took over . i ran a used beat up one and was impressed , i think 21 cc , and so was our mechanic . he said the engines made well . the 21cc and 25cc are new husqv designs , the 29cc is still old redmax design and thats the one ive ran for years . but after usin that small new 21cc im thinking of goin smaller because i can whip that 21 around like a toothpick and it has the power to easily run our tame residential route . different engine shape but still good gripping like old ones .