STIHL versus Echo Backpack Blower?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Your 770 will be an excellent tool for years to come. It's easy to get wrapped up in the power game and spend a bit more...but I think you'll find your tried & true BP to git'er done.
It will also get better after some tanks thru it and gets broken in

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
So after a few days of using this blower and at the risk of sounding too corny, I am almost quite literally blown away. So my hand held is definitely more 'comfortable' in the light of quickly running around a house to blow off the majority of debris. This is especially true considering I work on steep properties and have to frequently walk on hills.

Having that said, there is obviously no comparison. Not only does this blower have more power but the power is usable from a much greater range. Additionally, it is removing stuff that has sort of been 'stuck' up around patios, decks, trim and the like that the battery blower never touched. So overall this thing is allowing me to do jobs that were never even possible before. I do pickup some leaf cleanup jobs which is why I was considering a bigger blower right from the start but I am guessing this will do just fine. It beats that battery blower and a rake for sure.

Also I noticed I am sort of unconsciously leaving grass clippings on driveways/walkways now because I know I have the blower on the truck. Which is SOOOO much better. Before I would use the vacuum on the mower to blow off stuff like this as best as I could and you are only making it worse on yourself. This time of year here on the east coast mower decks are clogged up no matter how many times you scrapped them out. So you have limited ability to blow off grass in the first place and you are smashing down wet grass on driveways/walkways with your mower and leaving a mess.

Long story short I should have bought one of these fifteen years ago when I just started. Plus I am not sure if it is new or not but with the choke on with and not hitting the primer bulb it is almost always starting on a single pull. On the times it doesn't it is usually me not getting the choke off fast enough.

Also my father decided he would try it out so he borrowed it an flooded it because he did not know you had to turn the throttle to idle before starting it. My poor new backpack blower...

ilucas

LawnSite Member
The Stihl chest strap will fit any BP other than the Maruyama 9000 and even that can work with a little sewing. the strap fits std 1" straps but the 9000 has wider straps. I had my wife sew some std 1" strapping onto the oem straps and then I installed the chest strap on it as well. First pic is my 802, then the 9000, then the 8010, and last the 800

View attachment 406091View attachment 406092View attachment 406093View attachment 406095
Hey Ridin' Green...can you elaborate on how you got the straps to work on your 8010? Mine was one that was recalled for the straps, not sure how the steel straps can attach to the existing?
Thanks

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I haven't had mine in for the recall yet. I won't until after the leaf season either. The Stihl chest strap is designed for any 1" strap like most BP's have as part of the shoulder strap. Maruyama was the only one I have ever owned or see that needed a bit of extra work to make the Stihl chest strap work.

The chest strap had E clips at each end where they attach to the shoulder straps. The one inch strap that you pull to adjust for fit is where they attach.

Here's a pic of mine-
100_5703.jpg
100_5704.jpg
100_5705.jpg

ilucas

LawnSite Member
Wow, that was quick!! Thank you for taking the time to even send a pic!!
So when they replaced the straps they left my chest straps on my old straps...lol...I had to go back and get them. After looking at your pic I noticed I put them on too high, just figured it was the new strap that had changed, went out in the garage and looked at it again and sure as heck they are like yours so I will relocate them where you have them below the padding. Noticed on my 570 they are stitched about in the same location just a bit higher maybe.
Thanks for all your help, you are a credit to Lawnsite, always take time to help someone out!!
20201021_135439.jpg

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
No problem. You're welcome. Glad you were able to get your strap back before they threw it out.
Depending on how high or low you wear your blower on your back, the chest strap will be about mid rib to nipple line on you with it mounted just below the padding like I have mine

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Since were here I will say that I am very, very pleased with the Echo 770T so far. I am trying it out with leaves right now and so far it is blowing them around pretty easily. However, I will say that they are dry leaves and not wet. We usually only do leaf work once for each property, after all or the majority of the leaves have fallen. Then we charge one flat price to get rid of them all.

It also makes everyday lawn maintenance ten times easier. This is so much better than trying to clean off driveways, walkways, patios etc with the discharge of the mower or a handheld blower.

fritowrdo

LawnSite Fanatic
It also makes everyday lawn maintenance ten times easier. This is so much better than trying to clean off driveways, walkways, patios etc with the discharge of the mower or a handheld blower.

I wish I would have bought a back pack blower ages ago. I am more productive with one.

Other than I spend more on gas / two stroke oil than I did due to the poor gas mileage. But so worth it.

Enjoy it as much as I do!

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
I wish I would have bought a back pack blower ages ago. I am more productive with one.

Other than I spend more on gas / two stroke oil than I did due to the poor gas mileage. But so worth it.

Enjoy it as much as I do!

Yeah definitely. I am probably going to use double or triple the amount of fuel with just this one backpack blower. The trimmers hardly take anything, I usually only use a few gallons throughout the entire year. I am probably going to use a lot more than that now.

Another reason I might swap over to that Saber stuff people have been talking about. I will probably still use it around 40:1 or 50:1 but it looks like I will save a good deal more money with it.

Just like you said, I wish I would have bought one ten or more years ago.

Top Forums