STIHL versus Echo Backpack Blower?

fritowrdo

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah definitely. I am probably going to use double or triple the amount of fuel with just this one backpack blower. The trimmers hardly take anything, I usually only use a few gallons throughout the entire year. I am probably going to use a lot more than that now.

Good budgeting.

I budgeted twice as much two stroke gas as before and I used more than 3 times the amount than past years.

The price I pay for the productivity gains.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't run any oil nowadays at more than 50:1. $0:1 is so outdated and even manu's like Stihl tell you to run current 50:1 mixes in older equipment designed for 40 or even 32:1.

The added cost of fuel......... That's like maybe 15-40 bucks more per year if you're solo. That's not even close to something to worry over.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Don't run any oil nowadays at more than 50:1. $0:1 is so outdated and even manu's like Stihl tell you to run current 50:1 mixes in older equipment designed for 40 or even 32:1.

The added cost of fuel......... That's like maybe 15-40 bucks more per year if you're solo. That's not even close to something to worry over.
Ive been finishing up my Motul 2 stroke mix and I was filling the little Stihl bottles a little too full. Very significant increase in power on the br800c's now I'm back down to the 50:1 ratio with HP Ultra (hard to walk against the full power). Didnt realise how much the heavy oil mix bogs down on the power. Just in time for leaf season. I'm guessing even more power is possible if I go with even less oil but I will err on the side of reliability.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Ive been finishing up my Motul 2 stroke mix and I was filling the little Stihl bottles a little too full. Very significant increase in power on the br800c's now I'm back down to the 50:1 ratio with HP Ultra (hard to walk against the full power). Didnt realise how much the heavy oil mix bogs down on the power. Just in time for leaf season. I'm guessing even more power is possible if I go with even less oil but I will err on the side of reliability.
I've been running Saber at 80:1 for quite a few years now and it has never let me down or given me any trouble. I have been running it in my 800 for just over a year now. It runs great on it. Too much oil definitely robs power.

Skywind

LawnSite Member
I would say yes, as the 770 is more powerful than the 600. On the other hand, the 600 is definitely lighter and easier on the ears, and the 600 is no slouch as far as performance, though Stihl did something to them a few years back to de-tune them ever so slightly. I have a fellow cutter that I work right next to and I was showing him the 800 while he and a helper were blowing leaves last fall. I ran my 800 on the same pile of debris he and his helper were moving to show them the difference. It was quite noticeable when the pile got deep and heavier, but until then, the 600's were doping just fine as did mine back when I had it.

I don't bother with ethanol free gas except for winter storage. I have never had a single issue with regular pump gas, though I do run premium- either 92 or 93 octane and Saber.

As far as the smoke.....no offense but are you sure you have your mix ratio right? I have seen guys who do this for a living get it wrong and have stuck with the wrong ration for so long that they keep re-mixing at it due to muscle memory. Another thing about Saber at 80:1 or higher is you will never get a clogged exhaust screen or port again. IME, Ultra will still do that being 50:1.
Hey what was the reason Stihl detuned the BR600? Thanks

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey what was the reason Stihl detuned the BR600? Thanks
I have no idea, but there was a definte difference in the performmmmmmmmmance of the older and newer units those guys were running- the older one was stronger, and that goes with the ratings that Stihl has on them now.

Wells mowing

LawnSite Silver Member
I've been running Saber at 80:1 for quite a few years now and it has never let me down or given me any trouble. I have been running it in my 800 for just over a year now. It runs great on it. Too much oil definitely robs power.
i would run saber if it wasn't so darn expensive here. 4.99 per 2.6 oz bottle or 32.99 per quart.

Top Forums