1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuntmanlogan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

Over the winter i purhased a new stihl fs80r and im wondering if i should have gone with the fs90r becasue i noticed now about the four mix. And im wondering what exactly the 4 mix is and if thats what i should have gone with. Thanks

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The 4 mix is like a hybrid 2/4 stroke. It combines all of the best benefits both types of engines can offer. Weight, emissions, simplicity, and power is what stihl was after when designing the new engines.

I have an fs110 trimmer that's about 2 years old already. It will start cold with one pull and no choke or use of the primer. The thing is awesome. Even though I was mad that they did away with the old 2 strokes. these new engines really grew on me.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I like the fs80 series. I'd buy more if I could. Tony

4. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

I love the fs80's I dont think you made a bad choice at all, I have two fs80s that dont run anymore since they are about 7 years old now and I now have the fs110s and 90s but dont think they are any better than the 80.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have two, does anyone want mine??? I like redmax shindaiwa better.

6. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks i really like my fs80 i dont think i maid a wrong choice when buying a stihl but i was just wondering a little about the 90

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

How can you not like the more powerful machines? FS 80 R is rated @ 25.4cc's, FS 90 R is rated @ 28.4cc's & finally the FS 110 R is rated @ 31.4cc's. The more power the better, the FS 80 R is the same power as my old Echo that got replaced by an FS 90 R.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i love my stihls

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I love my stihl stuff. I have two FS-250R two stoke beast trimmers. I also have one FS-100RX that I think is very very weak. But of course compared to the 250 anything is weak. I love stihl and will continue to buy more of it.

10. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The FS80 is a great trimmer. I'm happy with mine (6)and I get great service from my dealer. Even though the 80 and 90 are the same price($299) I'm staying with the FS80 as long as I can. The FS90 has more torque, but I like the higher rpm's of the 2cycle. It's more of a personal choice rather than which one's best. RedMax,Echo and Shindawia are all good quality products.My Stihl dealer also sells RedMax, but I'll stick with Stihl.