STILL DYING.......

CTGRASS GUYS

LawnSite Member
So I have Scagg lawnmowers and they are all about eight years old. Just got a brand new Kawasaki engine in my tiger cat and bought a brand new battery. The problem that I am having is that I can’t mold more than one whole day on a brand new battery. We get through a few properties and it’ll start but the PTO won’t engage, so we jump it and then it’ll work for one or two calls and then die again. So we go back to the shop and we swap batteries again and this happens over and over and over day after day and we’ve brought it to the repair shop three times already and they can’t seem to figure it out. I am wondering if anyone thinks it’s the regulator, the clutch, The stater or if it is just something in the electrical that is pulling the power from the battery. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.—Robert

scagman52

LawnSite Senior Member
So I have Scagg lawnmowers and they are all about eight years old. Just got a brand new Kawasaki engine in my tiger cat and bought a brand new battery. The problem that I am having is that I can’t mold more than one whole day on a brand new battery. We get through a few properties and it’ll start but the PTO won’t engage, so we jump it and then it’ll work for one or two calls and then die again. So we go back to the shop and we swap batteries again and this happens over and over and over day after day and we’ve brought it to the repair shop three times already and they can’t seem to figure it out. I am wondering if anyone thinks it’s the regulator, the clutch, The stater or if it is just something in the electrical that is pulling the power from the battery. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.—Robert
Did you install the new engine or a dealer. If it was a dealer and he can't figure it out then he is not much of a dealer in my book! Did you have this problem before the engine swap? I would start with the regulator.

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
Agree that the regulator is something you'll want to check. But also do a visual inspection of the wiring harnesses, look for any chaffed wiring that might be going to ground.

You can do a rudimentary check of both the regulator and stator by checking the voltage at the battery terminals (engine runnning 3600 rpm). You need to see at least 13.5 vdc.

It is certainly possible that you have a 'parasitic' draw someplace (some component or wiring drawing power), but I would expect that would draw the battery down overnight and you'd have a dead battery every morning.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
The charging system is pretty simple. Basic checks would include the fuse & holder, keyswitch continuity, good grounds. Is the new motor / harness connection correct ?
Motor off : pull charge wire off regulator, turn key on and check the wire terminal for 12v. Gotta have 12v. No volts, sumpin ain't right, right ?
Check what the others mentioned also.

OP
C

CTGRASS GUYS

LawnSite Member
Agree that the regulator is something you'll want to check. But also do a visual inspection of the wiring harnesses, look for any chaffed wiring that might be going to ground.

You can do a rudimentary check of both the regulator and stator by checking the voltage at the battery terminals (engine runnning 3600 rpm). You need to see at least 13.5 vdc.

It is certainly possible that you have a 'parasitic' draw someplace (some component or wiring drawing power), but I would expect that would draw the battery down overnight and you'd have a dead battery every morning.
That is exactly what is happening. We buy a fresh brand new 350 amp battery and then run it all day with no problem. If we don’t disconnect the battery overnight the mower will not start in the morning. Then we take the other battery that we just bought off of the charging station and put it in and take the dead one and put it on the charging station. Sometimes we make it the whole day on one battery and sometimes we don’t. The new engine that I have was put in by the dealer, but there has to be a draw somewhere if I can’t even start the mower 12-20 times while engaging the PTO/mowing deck 20-30 times. It is like a vehicle running off a battery without an alternator........ the deck begins to bog down before it completely shuts off whenever we are in the middle of cutting a lawn.
Any thoughts?
Is the STATER acting like an alternator? ......

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Even a bad + or - cable can interfere w/ charging.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
That is exactly what is happening. We buy a fresh brand new 350 amp battery and then run it all day with no problem. If we don’t disconnect the battery overnight the mower will not start in the morning. Then we take the other battery that we just bought off of the charging station and put it in and take the dead one and put it on the charging station. Sometimes we make it the whole day on one battery and sometimes we don’t. The new engine that I have was put in by the dealer, but there has to be a draw somewhere if I can’t even start the mower 12-20 times while engaging the PTO/mowing deck 20-30 times. It is like a vehicle running off a battery without an alternator........ the deck begins to bog down before it completely shuts off whenever we are in the middle of cutting a lawn.
Any thoughts?
Is the STATER acting like an alternator? ......

OP
C

CTGRASS GUYS

LawnSite Member
The charging system is pretty simple. Basic checks would include the fuse & holder, keyswitch continuity, good grounds. Is the new motor / harness connection correct ?
Motor off : pull charge wire off regulator, turn key on and check the wire terminal for 12v. Gotta have 12v. No volts, sumpin ain't right, right ?
Check what the others mentioned also.
I will need to check everything

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
The stator IS an alternator.

Start with a charged battery. Put a test light between the batt.+ term and the unhooked + cable. If it lights, then ya got something using juice. Poke around till u find out what's causing it to light.
Could be the keyswitch acting up, dunno.