1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Still Kicking, Cancer wont win

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by punt66, Jun 14, 2008.

1. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Worked as a equipment operator/tri-axle driver. Then diagnosed with brain cancer (30years old). A month later my daughter was born. After spinal cord surgery and now a very bad back i was finally able to mow my lawn. But since it was too much for me to do the 1 acre lot with a 21" push now i decided to buy a rider. Well i wanted a commercial and got a great deal on a ferris ztr which has a suspension(easier on back). That was the first day of my business. Not intentionally! I enjoyed mowing the lawn with the new mower and was dissapointed it only took 10 min! haha So i looked for a couple extra yards to do. With each new yard i took the stronger my back has become. Well now its 3 years and 63 accounts later and i am strong like bull. New truck and lots of equipment. I still have limitations and sometimes i think im doing too much but i figure i may as well do it while i can. Still have cancer but MRI's show that its not growing!:dancing: Next year i will hire full time help. Good luck to you all.

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well punt66 I see you whopping ass and taken names my firend, I see you Big Dawg! I wish you and your family all of the best. I know alot of guys including myself get on here and complain about the smallest stuff, without realizing how easy we have it. Man you are a inspiration to me and you dont even know how much you have put things into perspective for me. Thank You. :weightlifter:

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Hang in there, cancer isn't good news but it can be beat.

4. brianhanson37

brianhanson37 LawnSite Member

Keep at it and never give up! I now know two people as of April that have survived cancer.

5. marthanmike1959

marthanmike1959 LawnSite Member

What an inspiration thanks for sharing your story.I'am a truck driver ltl frieght and was looking to start out part time in mowing my wife is disabled so i was looking to make alittle extra income.I just injured by back 3 bulging disks and ciatic nerve problems so now i have 0 income.I'll know more tuesday about my condition but i only have half your problem.
    When i think i have a problem all i have to do is open my eyes and look and see i'am a blessed man.Feeling sorry for myself and i run up on your story.Thanks so much for your story.I will remember you in my prayers and yes there is power in prayers.Keep on keeping on and i will do the same

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for nice responses. My family and are doing well and i am just happy i have been blessed to watch see my daughter grow. I do have new hope for a longer than expected survival. It seems the cancer has gone dormant. I never expected such responses, i just thought i would share my business story. Thanks for the kind words.

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

dont know what happened to my grammar in the last post? haha

8. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Wow and I was complaining about a little headache last night I wish you and your family all the best you are truly a fighter and an inspiration to us all.

9. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man keep fighting hard, Its good your keeping a positive outlook. I think you said that the cancer is not spreading so I hope that you will have a good and speedy recovery.

10. Danielsp

Danielsp LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Great story my friend, you really give life a whole new perspective to be appreciated!

Where are you working out of?