Stinger aerator smoking

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
charlotte nc
Just picked up a new stinger walk behind aerator with the honda engine. It smokes like a freight train every time I start the aerator up. Is this normal does it go away after the engine breaks in? Also something that seemed like the dropped the ball is when you go to drain the oil it just runs all over the engines deck plate/frame.....no tube or hole to drain it out into a pan. That just seems lazy for the manufacturer to sell you a nearly 6K dollar piece of machinery and to take a short cut on something that you need to do on a regular basis.
 
OP
Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
charlotte nc
The unit is brand new never used, just keep moving it around my shop to get it out of my way until aeration season starts for us next month.

oil is still fresh and is very difficult to tell the oil level on the dip stick. Curious if the dipstick takes into consideration the pitch that the motor is set at? All of the oil is falling forward in the crankcase.
 

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Location
SW Idaho
Having some oil bleed past the rings is pretty common in horizontal piston engines, especially before the rings have seated. Having oil drains in a crappy location is too, ask your dealer if they sell remote oil drain kits.

The pitch that engine sits at with the tines raised will make the oil transfer even worse. I would figure out a way to raise the front when it's stored or trailered so that any oil that splashes into the cylinder flows back into the sump.
 

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Knoxville, Tn
Having some oil bleed past the rings is pretty common in horizontal piston engines, especially before the rings have seated. Having oil drains in a crappy location is too, ask your dealer if they sell remote oil drain kits.

The pitch that engine sits at with the tines raised will make the oil transfer even worse. I would figure out a way to raise the front when it's stored or trailered so that any oil that splashes into the cylinder flows back into the sump.
What about one of the remote systems that removes the oil through suction?
 

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Location
SW Idaho

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Knoxville, Tn
They work great, I use one on my 21 at home but for whatever reason that never crossed my mind. :laugh: My mind just went to what we have at the shop, I think every piece of equipment except my rideon has a hose on the drain.

I bought a cheapo from HF about 5 years ago and it's still working.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html
I've gone to using an extraction system for the mowers. Some say that they don't remove all of the oil. I can neither confirm nor deny their claims.
 

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Location
SW Idaho
I've gone to using an extraction system for the mowers. Some say that they don't remove all of the oil. I can neither confirm nor deny their claims.
They don't but that doesn't matter if you can get a large majority of it.

Draining doesn't remove all the oil either. If you only get 90% of it out the remaining 10% doesn't make the 90% you replaced less effective.
 

jlbf0786

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
Charlotte, NC
Just picked up a new stinger walk behind aerator with the honda engine. It smokes like a freight train every time I start the aerator up. Is this normal does it go away after the engine breaks in? Also something that seemed like the dropped the ball is when you go to drain the oil it just runs all over the engines deck plate/frame.....no tube or hole to drain it out into a pan. That just seems lazy for the manufacturer to sell you a nearly 6K dollar piece of machinery and to take a short cut on something that you need to do on a regular basis.

Why did you go with a walk behind Stinger?
I thought we talked about my experience with it.. I guess not.
I bought a new one when they 1st came out (but with the B&S engine) I returned it that day after realizing it was the worst equipment purchase I'd ever made.
If you can return it, assuming it was bought new.. I would.
 

Top