• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

RaleighTurf

LawnSite Member
I and other Lawn Service friends of mine are ready to purchase new aerators and/or slit seeders for the upcoming 2020 fall seeding season. Having been in this business for a long time I have been asked by others about which equipment is the best (pros & cons) and I've been told by some that Stinger is not being carried by Siteone this year because they had too many issues with reliability. A big fat pain in the ass trying to get easy to use productive equipment that has some support. I personally have a Toro ride-on Aerator (& ride-on spreader sprayer) and 3 turfco XT5's. The Toro stand-on Aerator has served me well for 4 seasons now without issues and the turfco's work well but their engine choices suck. (why the hell would they not offer a Honda engine?? - no fricken excuses - period)

Turfco => works well but dealers don't want to work on them since they went direct. I don't care what turfco says about them being at least obligated to service the engines, the dealers smirk and say too bad, should of bought from the line we carry. (kinda don't blame them)

Toro => works well but in my area it's a LONG wait for repair during peak season and the cost...OMG.

Other Lines = well, i guess it comes down to reliability and service. Hell, they're all expensive. Most everything is expensive in this industry. I've heard good things about the Billy Goat AE 13ooH Hydro aerator but the cost is almost double for a walk behind aerator. Their other aerators are the prviously sold PLUG-R and they do work well for a couple of seasons. They have waaaaay to many moving parts and are a nightmare to fix. (yes, I have had them). Ryans - the ol reliable but damn, they don't have reverse. Classen- again, standard chain drive that only goes forward although the split-drive was a great improvement, they still don't have a reverse. (you guys raised your price point so high it ought to have a reverse gear or whatever.... yes I know it's a chain drive and not a hydro)

So... what about Stinger (David?) what is the status of your [very well designed] equipment? When you launched Lawn Solutions you of course sold it off to Toro/Exmark and those of us who had spent big money on it were kinda left holding the bag. Sorry but I wonder if "Stinger" is the "name" of your line while you work out all the kinks before you sell it to one of the BIG names. (You certainly did that with Lawn Solutions) Don't get me wrong - your equipment is badass. For us in the industry, we need reliability and support. With respect sir, what about it?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I suspect its tough to get distributorship across the country. Carrying exmark and stihl usually means you're prohibited from carrying stinger, echo,, etc.. Siteone in my area anyway I don't think services anything but can order parts. Stinger all parts are available online direct to consumers no? I love that concept because I do most all my repairs. (Not a stinger owner yet though)

Aerators in general take a beating. Should plan a rebuild after couple hundred hours. The whole machine is riding on those tines and its like repeatedly picking machine up and dropping it thousands of times. Similar for slit seeders. They take a beating with hard ground, rocks, buried junk. They need rebuild periodically.

For me, I'm taking a ryan lawnaire and outfitting it on a hydrostatic garden tractor. Not as useful as a zero turn ride on but should work well for my purposes. If I had the customer volume to buy a new stand on machine stinger would be a pretty easy 1st choice for me. Second the Ryan, third the exmark.

I think anyone in the business needs to be able to tackle their own repairs or have a shade tree mechanic lined up to work on stuff. The dealerships are too busy and carry too much overhead and locked into policies shoved down their throat by the big manufacturers.

OP
RaleighTurf

RaleighTurf

LawnSite Member
certainly makes sense. It seems at some point stinger could become a main line but the owner may sell the line to someone like toro?? or may just end up being in toro line (think Z-spray, lawn solutions, Olathe slit seeders)

OP
RaleighTurf

RaleighTurf

LawnSite Member
I suspect its tough to get distributorship across the country. Carrying exmark and stihl usually means you're prohibited from carrying stinger, echo,, etc.. Siteone in my area anyway I don't think services anything but can order parts. Stinger all parts are available online direct to consumers no? I love that concept because I do most all my repairs. (Not a stinger owner yet though)

Aerators in general take a beating. Should plan a rebuild after couple hundred hours. The whole machine is riding on those tines and its like repeatedly picking machine up and dropping it thousands of times. Similar for slit seeders. They take a beating with hard ground, rocks, buried junk. They need rebuild periodically.

For me, I'm taking a ryan lawnaire and outfitting it on a hydrostatic garden tractor. Not as useful as a zero turn ride on but should work well for my purposes. If I had the customer volume to buy a new stand on machine stinger would be a pretty easy 1st choice for me. Second the Ryan, third the exmark.

I think anyone in the business needs to be able to tackle their own repairs or have a shade tree mechanic lined up to work on stuff. The dealerships are too busy and carry too much overhead and locked into policies shoved down their throat by the big manufacturers.
CORRECTION: siteone is STILL a dealer for them but [some] are hesitant on stocking them. Does that mean I or you shouldn't buy one? Heck No, I just might - I still have a 9 year old Lawn Solutions slit-seeder and it works good.

OP
RaleighTurf

RaleighTurf

LawnSite Member
I and other Lawn Service friends of mine are ready to purchase new aerators and/or slit seeders for the upcoming 2020 fall seeding season. Having been in this business for a long time I have been asked by others about which equipment is the best (pros & cons) and I've been told by some that Stinger is not being carried by Siteone this year because they had too many issues with reliability. A big fat pain in the ass trying to get easy to use productive equipment that has some support. I personally have a Toro ride-on Aerator (& ride-on spreader sprayer) and 3 turfco XT5's. The Toro stand-on Aerator has served me well for 4 seasons now without issues and the turfco's work well but their engine choices suck. (why the hell would they not offer a Honda engine?? - no fricken excuses - period)

Turfco => works well but dealers don't want to work on them since they went direct. I don't care what turfco says about them being at least obligated to service the engines, the dealers smirk and say too bad, should of bought from the line we carry. (kinda don't blame them)

Toro => works well but in my area it's a LONG wait for repair during peak season and the cost...OMG.

Other Lines = well, i guess it comes down to reliability and service. Hell, they're all expensive. Most everything is expensive in this industry. I've heard good things about the Billy Goat AE 13ooH Hydro aerator but the cost is almost double for a walk behind aerator. Their other aerators are the prviously sold PLUG-R and they do work well for a couple of seasons. They have waaaaay to many moving parts and are a nightmare to fix. (yes, I have had them). Ryans - the ol reliable but damn, they don't have reverse. Classen- again, standard chain drive that only goes forward although the split-drive was a great improvement, they still don't have a reverse. (you guys raised your price point so high it ought to have a reverse gear or whatever.... yes I know it's a chain drive and not a hydro)

So... what about Stinger (David?) what is the status of your [very well designed] equipment? When you launched Lawn Solutions you of course sold it off to Toro/Exmark and those of us who had spent big money on it were kinda left holding the bag. Sorry but I wonder if "Stinger" is the "name" of your line while you work out all the kinks before you sell it to one of the BIG names. (You certainly did that with Lawn Solutions) Don't get me wrong - your equipment is badass. For us in the industry, we need reliability and support. With respect sir, what about it?

CORRECTION: siteone is STILL a dealer for them but [some] are hesitant on stocking them.? Does that mean I or you shouldn't buy one? Heck No, I just might - I still have a 9 year old Lawn Solutions slit-seeder and it works good.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Agreed Siteone is a dealer. I'm just not sure all locations offer mechanical repairs services.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Funny this just pops up, I’ve been looking at one. Contacted an online dealer and they can’t ship up here because of restrictions and our local site one is not a dealer. The closest one that will get one is about 2 hours from me.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Funny this just pops up, I’ve been looking at one. Contacted an online dealer and they can’t ship up here because of restrictions and our local site one is not a dealer. The closest one that will get one is about 2 hours from me.
Stinger won't direct ship you one truck freight? I guess I thought they sold whole machines direct but that may be wrong.

OP
RaleighTurf

RaleighTurf

LawnSite Member
where are you located eric?